Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

5A Archery Early

You must have been in there before me, or after maybe. I saw quite a few old tracks from when it was wet. There used to be a good amount of elk in there, but not when I was there. It was dry dry dry. They won't be there without water.

Could be we were in differnt areas east or west also, were the roads all closed or open when you were up? They were all closed when I was up. I have some bulls on a pattern up there and can find them every morning usually. I hope to get a tag soon but its not my first choice its second.

They opened the roads when I was there, so you must have been before me. It was pretty wet a few miles back towards Clints Well, but out north was bad. Part of it depends on if the cattle are in and if the rancher is pumping water.

• Like 1

Hunted it last year on my brothers archery tag. He stuck a pretty good bull and we searched for about 4 days to end the hunt and never found him. He drew the same tag again this year so hopefully he can make it happen this time. I really like the transition areas but we spent most of our time in the pines last year.

• Like 1

drawn for archery bull this year and will hunt where ever I find the one with my name on it :D

• Like 1

NO WATER North of the 319 except cattle concrete tank out by red hill. Very disturbing to see a favorite spot look so bad.....desolate. Anyone ever consider renting a water truck and filling a tank? I think they have hit the canyon because it is the only year round water source in the northern half of the unit. Ideas?

NO WATER North of the 319 except cattle concrete tank out by red hill. Very disturbing to see a favorite spot look so bad.....desolate. Anyone ever consider renting a water truck and filling a tank? I think they have hit the canyon because it is the only year round water source in the northern half of the unit. Ideas?[/quote)

As soon as they move the cattle in,all the metal tanks will have water.

I have to put a special shout out to Kevin Lawhorn for taking the time this weekend to extend his knowledge and resources. He opened his cabin up to me and let me treat it as my own, then helped me locate areas of interest in the unit. Then allowed me to use three of his cameras, only after he checked them over and made sure they were ready to go! From the Polaris ranger to the gas and expense, he covered it all. I am proud to call him a friend and only hope to be able to repay such a grand favor! He really understands how important this tag is to me and I appreciate that. Truly blessed

• Like 2

Me and the boys had a blast. Always good to hit new area. I think we have found some good spots especially finding some good browns while we were scouting. We will get on some good bulls I know. The good lord will guide us in the right direction. Thanks for all your help and your friendship. Your always welcome in our home.

• Like 2

Here's from the rain in 5A yesterday. I guess they got 2" in 45 mins.

post-4673-0-20820400-1374508687_thumb.png

post-4673-0-67473100-1374508734_thumb.png

post-4673-0-92638000-1374508744_thumb.png

post-4673-0-10171100-1374508761_thumb.png

Sorry about the black borders. It was taken from a phone.

That is great to see! Except for however lives in that cabin haha

Hopefully all the quads and rihnos will stay off the dirt until it hardened again

• Like 1