biglakejake

big lake 2013

Cold and really windy! Really really slow last weekend on the lake with as much wind that was blowing.

I bet there are some real nice holdover fish to be caught.

Since I can not make it to Montana for the summer, I hope to find some time to get up to the White Mountains.

This is my favorite spot and has been since I was a little kid. Me and my older two boys (7 and 5) are going up on May 15th. I saw this on the forest service website http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5415281.pdf. according to this map the area that I have been camping at for years is in the West Fork closure area due to the Wallow Fire. Im a little bummed and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on another spot within a reasonable drive from Big lake. I don't like staying in the developed camp grounds, just doesnt quite feel like camping to me. I like being out where we can see wildlife and still be within a five minute drive or so from fishing. if you look on the map the rd 249E that goes to reservation lake looks promising. anyone ever camp over there? thanks.

This is my favorite spot and has been since I was a little kid. Me and my older two boys (7 and 5) are going up on May 15th. I saw this on the forest service website http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5415281.pdf. according to this map the area that I have been camping at for years is in the West Fork closure area due to the Wallow Fire. Im a little bummed and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on another spot within a reasonable drive from Big lake. I don't like staying in the developed camp grounds, just doesnt quite feel like camping to me. I like being out where we can see wildlife and still be within a five minute drive or so from fishing. if you look on the map the rd 249E that goes to reservation lake looks promising. anyone ever camp over there? thanks.

use to be a nice spot on the west side of big lake about 1/4 mile past the horse corral ( aka, overflow camp sights) on the left hand side there was a nice big medow... looking at google earth, looks like the fire went through there.. kinda bumbed too!

take a look a google earth to see where the fire went through...

James

I'm up here at Big Lake and today was great! Average rainbow was 13", my 2 year old and her tinkerbell fishing pole out fished 5 of us. Started with worms then ended with powerbait. I brought the flyrod but ended up not using it due to me baitin hooks every 5 minutes.

• Like 1

" baitin hooks every 5 minutes " Take a kid fishing..................Awsome Fun!!

DT

Since I can not make it to Montana for the summer, I hope to find some time to get up to the White Mountains.

They generally do not stock big lake with catchables but just fingerlings so almost all the fish are holdovers.

They generally do not stock big lake with catchables but just fingerlings so almost all the fish are holdovers.

+1

the brook are a blast....

the said there was a partial winter kill on creasant lake due to lack of oxygen.

a couple years back we slayed em on gold panther martins with orange bead and buck tail in 1/4 oz.

we caught a few at 16 in and none were under 14 in.

big lake has some nice brook too... north west side in the back of the cove.

man I could go for a big lake trip!

James

Nice. I didn't know that. I always thought the smaller fish I caught there were stockers, but I guess not.