Sign in to follow this  
WinMag

Navajo Army Depot for Elk, Question?

I pulled an archery only antler-less elk (oth) tag this year. I'm 100% DAV service connected USMC. I've never been out to CN but I plan on going out to do some trout fishing this summer. Maybe I'll get used to security, maybe. Has anyone ever used "hunters helpers"? Camped on base? Successful hunts? I live in Flag, is it better to drive back and forth?

I have hunted there a few times. First time was when I gave my early muzzlelaoder any elk tag to a young man through the Hunt Of A Lifetime Organization. I guided that hunt and it was almost a complete BUST!

Have had a ML antlerless tag there and did OK.

Hunted turkeys there twice...saw and worked birds, never got one though.

After my lady friend and I drew tags this year (she got tag 1 for any rifle) I got tag one for the antlerless hunt at the same tag. I went and booked an NR archery elk hunter in Unit 18A whose hunt is longer than most.

We can't scout until September 23rd.

Not sure how we are going to do this, but I hope to be out there on the 23rd to scout.

Total of 18 tags issued for that Sept. 30- to Oct. 6 hunt. Think there are 5 civilian and 13 military. Oh, the military can't go into the buffer are UNLESS they use bow only--no firearms allowed at all.

I need to hook up one of the early archery elk hunters as their hunt will be right before ours.

Big Dawg, when is yours?

Don Martin

I hunted it once. You had to check in at the front gate every morning and every evening (the latter within 30 minutes of sundown as I recall), and have your truck searched (weather you had left the base or not). They tell you where to camp, which in our case was within a few yards of the train track. The train went by every hour or two at 90 mph blowing our tent everywhere and waking us up constantly through the night. The second night, they woke us up in the middle of the night and told us we had to move our camp several miles away to a different location they they chose.

They gave us a map of the base that looked like it was drawn in crayon by one of the commaning officer's kids, I assume because they don't want an accurate detailed map of an army base floating around. Bombs were going off, seamingly within yards of me, while I was in the field. It was difficult to know where you were allowed to be and where you couldn't be. People would add and remove signs so it was hard to understand the boundaries (this could have been other hunters, but I don't know).

I have heard of others having the elk scared out from under them by helicopters and other such things. As has been said, it is a military base and hunting is a very low priority there. All in all, although I killed an elk, it was not all that enjoyable as elk hunts go.

I hunted it once. You had to check in at the front gate every morning and every evening (the latter within 30 minutes of sundown as I recall), and have your truck searched (weather you had left the base or not). They tell you where to camp, which in our case was within a few yards of the train track. The train went by every hour or two at 90 mph blowing our tent everywhere and waking us up constantly through the night. The second night, they woke us up in the middle of the night and told us we had to move our camp several miles away to a different location they they chose.

They gave us a map of the base that looked like it was drawn in crayon by one of the commaning officer's kids, I assume because they don't want an accurate detailed map of an army base floating around. Bombs were going off, seamingly within yards of me, while I was in the field. It was difficult to know where you were allowed to be and where you couldn't be. People would add and remove signs so it was hard to understand the boundaries (this could have been other hunters, but I don't know).

I have heard of others having the elk scared out from under them by helicopters and other such things. As has been said, it is a military base and hunting is a very low priority there. All in all, although I killed an elk, it was not all that enjoyable as elk hunts go.

Sounds like a "survivor" version of an elk hunt!

stick-flicker - well that had to be a long time ago

ive been there several times-- (4) no searches ever - not even to see if firearm unloaded- no real hassles to speak of- they(guards) were very nice- never had a problem checkin in or out - you can call guard shack now to check in and out -I've come in way after dark - never a issue - its now a lot easier than what you've experienced- they probably moved you as the north camp site is next to the firing range- they do have two areas to camp-out

-roads are not really maintained once you get in the woods but doable easily with a 4x4- you can have woodcutters in the woods also and guys working on the forest-trimming - etc

yes they can shut down hunting at anytime and sometimes limit you to hunting 1/2 the area available but usually for a single day or 1/2 day- military training first!- hunters are like 3-4 on the list of importance

anyway - yes it is a military base and they do have rules to follow and you'll be hunting a very limited area!

good luck on your hunt dawg - i'm still available to answer question - yes I've taken a couple elk off the depot!

On 4/22/2013 at 6:44 AM, Lucafu1 said:

You can also hunt there if you are a veteran who is 50% or more disabled by the VA.

You can hunt the restricted area with that criteria?

I have not hunted this specific base but I bowhunted numerous bases as active mil and they can be great. Some main things to keep in mind, it’s the DOD so tons of rules classes regulations etc…..they can and will close seasons and areas at anytime, training etc always have priority. However with that being said the now hunting was incredible. 

On 8/21/2021 at 8:34 PM, elkaholic said:

Staying in barracks easiest cheapest way to go. If they still do that!

Helper stayed also.

Barracks are closed due to Covid unfortunately. Headed there next week for 17-23rd archery hunt. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, Brix8984 said:

Barracks are closed due to Covid unfortunately. Headed there next week for 17-23rd archery hunt. 

Good luck

PM sent