Xman2000

Who has the best steak in town?

Saw that...... A true institution closing. Sad, yet happy for him and his family's great business success! A great story!

Think I need to go get a steak this weekend! ;)

S.

:)

• Like 1

id say my mule deer back straps are the best steaks in town at the moment. who ever told me mule deer wasn't that great is crazy. but maybe the rest of it will taste like trash.

• Like 1

I have eaten at every 1st class steakhouse in town. Last month i dined at Arrowhead Grill. Best ive had in a very long time, no question.

I love deer. But, deer is so lean. I like a fat marbled rib-eye. Sitting here atop a mountain in Indio, CA reading this and drooling...

• Like 2

The best beef I have ever eaten was on my only trip to South America. The posts on this thread that talk about it being served on "skewers" Brazil-style made me remember all the meals we had in Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires where waiters kept plopping onto our plates thick slabs of beef that they carried around on genuine swords.

I was told the reason the beef tasted so good was because the cattle ate only pampas grass. Could be. The beef I was served at the ranch we hunted was just as good as the best I've eaten anywhere up here, and I was told it wasn't aged.

As for El Corral, it has been a Tucson landmark on River Road just east of Campbell Avenue for at least sixty years that I know of, and maybe a lot more than that. Its specialty is prime rib, and I agree with the post that suggested prime rib is a roast and not a steak.

I also agree with those who pick rib eye as their number one choice.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for the suggestions. Last Friday, I took my wife and daughter to Arrowhead Grille. Absolutely the best steak I have had.

Looking forward to trying a few more mentioned on here.

• Like 1

Old thread but in case someone looks..... Mastro's, Flemings, the keg. My favorites are Cartrights in cave creek, i know they are only open certain times. Also Dominics. Those two are the best in my opinion. Enjoy!

Anyone making good steaks at home? I started using the " reverse sear method" last year and I really like it..

Preheat oven to 275

Bake steaks until internal temp is 125 degrees ( a decent bone in rib eye takes about 45 min )

throw on a very hot cast iron grill ( I use canola garlic oil )

Cook on cast iron or hot grill for about 1-2 minutes each side

Devour the steak , chase it with a Ice cold beer , post on CWT.com and brag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

I would also say cooking it at home is king. I buy Prime Fillets at AJ's, then season them with Alderwood Smoked Salt, fresh pepper and Rub with Love Steak rub. I sear each side for about 90 seconds per side, then throw it in the oven at 550 degrees for 8 minutes (medium rare) or 8:30 (medium). Let them set for about 8 minutes then dig in. I make it with French Fries and it is the most amazing meal. French Fries seems odd but I love how they soak up the steak juices. Amazing!

• Like 1

I go to smart+final and buy the beef fillet whole and cut it to size. Good stuff at a fraction of a restaurant cost.

• Like 1

I go to smart+final and buy the beef fillet whole and cut it to size. Good stuff at a fraction of a restaurant cost.

is that a Phoenix only place? Haven't heard of it. Is it like a costco or something?

is that a Phoenix only place? Haven't heard of it. Is it like a costco or something?

Not sure if its phx. Only, they have been here for years. You can buy new yorks, ribeye, loins and cut them yourself.