Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Brother shoots sibling in Arizona hunting accident

Brother shoots sibling in Arizona hunting accident FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Authorities are investigating a shooting involving two brothers who were turkey hunting southeast of Flagstaff.

Arizona Game and Fish Department officials say the men from Surprise were pursuing and calling turkeys late Saturday when one of the men fired his 12-gauge shotgun about 25 yards away from his sibling.

Authorities say the victim was sitting against a tree and wearing camouflage clothes at the time.

He was shot in the shoulder, but the wounds weren't life threatening. He was taken to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment.

The brothers' names haven't been released.

Officials say the Coconino County Attorney's Office will review the case to determine if charges will be filed.

Game and Fish spokeswoman Shelly Shepherd says Arizona has had 26 hunting accidents since 2007, including three fatalities.

There was another accident outside of Alpine on Sunday. Not sure exactly what happened but from what we were told a hunter was shot in the face from about 35 yards. We were in town as he was being airlifted out. Hope he's doing ok.

There was another accident outside of Alpine on Sunday. Not sure exactly what happened but from what we were told a hunter was shot in the face from about 35 yards. We were in town as he was being airlifted out. Hope he's doing ok.

I was wondering what was going on that early in the AM.

Spring Turkey hunting has always been really dangerous! Gotta know your target and beyond. Don't call while on the move either...

This guy goes to my buddy's church. He said the Dr. had to leave several BB's in his face. He may loose an eye.

I was searching online to see if there were any news accounts of what happened when I came across this forum. The man who was shot in Hannagin is my husband and his brother (bless his heart) is the one who accidentally shot him. They were out for the last time and both made huge mistakes. My husband is a very safe hunter which just goes to show that you need to always be dilligent! He made the mistake of not being right beside my brother-in-law when he was calling in the turkeys. He was behind him abou 30-35 yards. my husband was using a callbox and then switched to a gobbbler call when my brother-in-law turned and shot at the sound. That was his mistake. Two mistakes made for a critical response! My husband was in ICU for the first 24 hours and then in the hosptial for 4 more days. He has had two surgeries so far on his eye as they try to save it. I believe we will be able to save the eye, but am unsure about how much vision he will have. He has multiple surgeries to come to remove pellets from his face as the previous post stated and a shoulder joint. He has started picking some of the pellets out and of course is saving them for his trophy box!

Interestingly, I was asked multiple times in the hospital if I would 'allow' him to go hunting anymore. I believe they were shocked when I quickly said, Of course! He won't ever make that mistake again! Thank you for your prayers, they are working!!!

Glad to hear he's going to be ok - prayers for full recovery from this accident.

safety and knowing where your hunting partners are can turn a fun hunt into a tragic hunt. be safe out there !

More prayers for his recovery. Be safe out there ladies and gents.

I couldn't have said it better, and I have been shot twice in the last 35 years and it's no picnic. Thanks for the news Ybranch.