Sign in to follow this  
metau

AR-15 Upper thoughts/suggestions

I'm planning to get an upper for varmint/predator hunting. I've been looking online at some of the options out there and wanted to see what some of you had to say. What about your current setup do you love and what would you like to change? Thanks.

I built mine abouts 1.5 years ago. My intention was to build the cheapest and lightest weight. I. Mine would be considered an m4. W/16 in non chromed barrel. I did a flat top and put an eotech 5.12. Its been great. Recenyly i have veen s to ing with the irdea of selling my eotech and but a low power traditional scope. The eotech has been great. It has a 1moa dot. I have found it perftect foe under 200yshots i think it would work farther oyt but i have not had any opportunity pass 200. So far ive onlt missed follow up shots on wounded coyotes. Im not braging about my "skills" more attesting to the fact the an ar 15/m4 suits itself quite well.

post-4310-0-34062800-1367755674_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't see bipods. Are you guys using sticks or shooting offhand? What ranges are you comfortable with having a 20" barrel and tops of 10 power? Ever have any issues in close?

I Usually Try Sticks, But End Up shooting With My elbow On My Knee.

Farthest I've Killed A Dog Was 250-275 OR So, Closest Has Been Less Then 10.

I have an Armalite w/ 20" heavy barrel and a Leupold Mark AR scope 3 to 9 x 40. It's too heavy to carry all day, but it's great shooting off a standing bipod. Have only shot p-dogs and jackrabbits so far.

IMG_20120319_185932.jpg

like first coues was 80 stated,I usually sit on top of a 4 ft camo'd step ladder(lightweight and portable)...shots are usually between point blank to about 175 max usully depending on terrain...offhand practice does pay off and the ladder gets you up above the greasewood and you can see them coming in a long ways out which gets you the extra 20-30 seconds to get ready and raise your gun and literally walk them in...they don't normally see you up in the saguaro or mesquite tree backdrop...So I guess I got off track- any gun you can comfortably shoulder in a hurry and be accurate enough to hit a soda can as far as you can offhand,the guns will do it all day out to 300 yards or more,but practice snap shooting at 20 to 150 and it doesn't matter which upper you go with,its ford versus chevy versus dodge....but armalite and rock river are the two I own and have no complaints...avoid bull barrel for fast offhand and carrying..they are great for prairie dogs but you don't need the extra weight for snap shooting.

A different approach is a .17 Remington in the AR platform. Several AZ gun builders can make them (Carey Custmn Rifles is one). Smaller bullet going significantly faster than a typical .223 bullet. Many predator hunters who keep their fur swear by them.

I like the RRA's w/ an 18" barrel. 24" is over kill on a calling rifle and heavy. 20" is better but still a little overkill for my taste. Another plus is that they are sold with the .223 wylde chamber which shoots 5.56 and .223 rem really well with an accuracy guarantee.

I like an 18"-20" medium weight barreled rifle which offers good balance and follow through. Pictured is my 6.8 with 2.5-10X scope which offers good versatility for a range of critters.

IMG_0168.jpg

Nahchogjpg2.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Very nice Rodin, what kind of can is that in the second pic?

Vowell,

Can is a SAS Ti30 with cordura heat shield