azcollector

Where are all the turkey's at?

Hey everyone,

My fiancé and I were out in Unit 23 the past 4 days hunting. We heard one gobble deep in a canyon early am opening morning, and that was it. Turkeys weren't responding to calls. Found good sign, and seen one hen. Any one have any advice for this unit?

I hunted Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday. I saw one hen, zero jakes, and zero toms. I heard zero gobbles. The location where I saw the hen also had a lot of fresh sign..tracks and poop...but the toms were quiet. To me, the second hunt is too late in the season. I think toms gobbling the first week of May is an exception to the norm. Two weeks earlier, my son and I got into a flock with at least 3 toms. We spent 20+ minutes calling the birds and them responding. I think I made a bad call cause ultimately they shut up and disappeared. But we only hunted Sunday morning. I hunted the same location this weekend and nothing.

I was hunting with my daughter in NM unit 23 along the Az border. Called in one jake and saw another jake still in the roost at 7:30 am. We only heard one gobble in 23. Other than that nothing. It was frustrating! But still had a good time!

haven't you guys figured it out yet!

by the time our turkey hunts start - 90% of the hens are on nests -

we are told this makes it easier to call in love sick Toms !

most hunts in other states start 1 full month before ours!! even on the rez!

you figure it out yet!?

• Like 5

a number of other states actually start the end of march- and run thru the end of may with multiple limits

guess Az has a different type of turkey that needs help during the breeding season-

not referring to the goulds population!

• Like 1

We hunted 23 this last weekend. The gobblers were vocal while in the roost but once down they were quiet. Saturday evening we had 6 really nice toms run across the 288 right in front of us. No shots, we'll be back up this weekend with a new game plan.

The lack of turkey reports is disheartening. I'll be back out there tomorrow. Hopefully I can find some birds. Sitting water may be off the table due to recent rains. Looks like I will have to find roosts and travel corridors. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a talker.