Sign in to follow this  
POB

Steel gong?

I want to get or make a gong for shooting. # 1 is the gong sold at sportsmans warehouse worth the price? #2 If I make my own, what steel do I want to use? It will be shot at with a 300 wsm and 300 weatherby. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use anything less than AR500. Mild steel is too soft and will dimple or penetrate with those calibers. AR500 is more expensive but worth the extra money. The Gong sold at sportsmans is made from ar500, I beleive? I have shot that particular one with a 300win mag at 300yds with no issues.

I wouldn't use anything less than AR500. Mild steel is too soft and will dimple or penetrate with those calibers. AR500 is more expensive but worth the extra money. The Gong sold at sportsmans is made from ar500, I beleive? I have shot that particular one with a 300win mag at 300yds with no issues.

Ar500 is the best. I tryed several other type of steel and put clean hole thru at 300. I when to cutting edge supply in phx and they gave me a piece of ar 500. Thye even offered to cut into a circle for me. Its 10in ive shot it at 100yards for kicks with my 300 wm and it only scratches the paint.

+1 for AR500. Outside of durability it is also much safer. Soft steel will create a crater allowing the fragments to ricochet back toward the shooter. Like shooting a blast of air into a cup. AR500 steel will not crater and will dispense the fragments parellel to the face of the target. You will see a distinct line in the dirt in font of the plate where this is happening.

I have the one from Sportsman's....from Caldwell, I believe. It is AR500 steel. It has been shot by AK47 (.308), AR15 (.223), and .45 on down. Not heavy magnum calibers. The only damage is to the paint. Of course the chain or frame will not take a hit well. I think it will be OK for .300WM.

cheap way is to hit yard sales, Goodwill or similar store and get old frying pans, majority are 1 time use but occasionally you can get one that will last a couple times

POB to answer your question the Sportsman's steel is a decent deal. I believe it is the Caldwell gong you are refering to ~$125. AR steel is not cheap I have wo pieces for targets I made and then some big pieces of mild steel. Mild steel is not that bad but you will punch holes through it. I have been using a couple pcs along with the AR squares for the last couple of years. I simply put tape or stickers over the holes. I use the AR plates for long range (700-1300yds) since you need them to move to signal a hit where up close you can see the holes.

I purchased my AR plates at Industrial Metal Supply in Phx but oz31p said his guys would cut it to the shape you want it which is a good deal. Also get the holes drilled for your chains while you are at it. I burnt up two high end drill bits on the press putting holes in mine.

Also, check longrangehunting.com if you need a frame to hang the steel from. There is a member their that make corners out of aluminum that allow you to use 5 pcs of rebar to make a frame, so it is cheap and easy to carry and you can customize the height.

Industrial metals at 5150 S. 48th Street in Phx has them cheaper than anywhere else I have seen. I think a 10" with tabs is about $40.

You can also get plate off ebay for a decent price. Make sure it is AR500 or higher armor steel. Another thing to look at is if they say it is waterbath plasma cut, this helps keep the hardness. I have a couple 3/8" plates and have dimpled them with accubonds at 300 yards with a 300 mag so my next plate will be AR550 or AR600 steel.

1 1/4 fence post works good for the frame. It is pretty light and cheap, just dont shoot it.