Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

North Kaibab Hunt

Rica, my German Wire-Haired Pointer, and I made a trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon this weekend to hunt some blue grouse. Stopped along the drive north from Flagstafff on the Navajo Rez to gander at a stone house fixer-upper beneath the vermilion ridge.

N.jpg

Got up there Friday evening to be buffeted by horrocious winds. Was so bad on Marble View Point that my ice chest actually blew over. Since, by 3 am, I was getting no sleep in the shuddering camper, I drove back down the road to sek refuge from the wind in the trees. But was to be blocked in by a fallen aspen across the road. Called it a night and said to heck with it; deal with it in the morning.

At sunrise, I started to drive back to the point to recover the rest of camp that was blown into the trees. But a covey of grouse flushed from a roadside puddle just after I turned around, so I answered when this opportunity knocked. Rica quickly had a bunch busting out, and a load of 7 1/2's fellled our first ever blue grouse. Three more shells were spent in the timber chasing the wind. We did some swings along the rim edge in the direction they flew, and flushed a few more to the Cocks Combs below. And Rica gives a wierd look and queries "Do we really want me to go after em?"

N-2.jpg

With the aid of a hatchet, tow strap, 4-low and another truck, the aspen was shortened and pulled to the side of the road. Further down the road, another opening with wild berries awaited, but no grouse were pointed. Went on down the road again and set up camp and took a nap. Awoke to Rica greeting the game warden. We talked of grouse and chukar, and showed him the lone bird. He wished me luck and to get two more that evening, but Rica and I could only muster one. We busted a large covey and a mature male returned to mother earth.

N-1.jpg

Sunday morning, we went back to the same berry patch of the evening prior, figuring they would return. They did. Picked up a single. On the third sweep afterwards, Rica got birdy, and her nose which was skimming the ground, led us to the rest of the covey. Grouse flushed in every direction. One tried to fly ten feet directly overhead, Another whirred to the right. A double lay on the ground to be aptly recovered by that wirehair. Twenty minutes after the first bird, Rica had her limit of three blue grouse.

N-3.jpg

As some of you may may recall, Scottyboy, Firstcoues, and I went last year to the Kaibab and got only one bird on a windy weekend. Rica made up for that this opening weekend.

Doug~RR

THAT'S A FINE LOOKIN' PUP TOU GOT THERE, IT LOOKS LIKE HE WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO MAKE AN OFFER ON THAT LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE, SO HE COULD BE A.........WELL, A PRARIE DOG OF COURSE!! :lol: :D GREAT PIC AND CONGRATS ON THE BIRDS!!

Rica, my German Wire-Haired Pointer, and I made a trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon this weekend to hunt some blue grouse. Stopped along the drive north from Flagstafff on the Navajo Rez to gander at a stone house fixer-upper beneath the vermilion ridge.

N.jpg

Got up there Friday evening to be buffeted by horrocious winds. Was so bad on Marble View Point that my ice chest actually blew over. Since, by 3 am, I was getting no sleep in the shuddering camper, I drove back down the road to sek refuge from the wind in the trees. But was to be blocked in by a fallen aspen across the road. Called it a night and said to heck with it; deal with it in the morning.

At sunrise, I started to drive back to the point to recover the rest of camp that was blown into the trees. But a covey of grouse flushed from a roadside puddle just after I turned around, so I answered when this opportunity knocked. Rica quickly had a bunch busting out, and a load of 7 1/2's fellled our first ever blue grouse. Three more shells were spent in the timber chasing the wind. We did some swings along the rim edge in the direction they flew, and flushed a few more to the Cocks Combs below. Do we go after em?

N-2.jpg

With the aid of a hatchet, tow strap, 4-low and another truck, the aspen was shortened and pulled to the side of the road. Further down the road, another opening with wild berries awaited, but no grouse were pointed. Went on down the road again and set up camp and took a nap. Awoke to Rica greeting the game warden. We talked of grouse and chukar, and showed him the lone bird. He wished me luck and to get two more that evening, but Rica and I could only muster one. We busted a large covey and a mature male returned to mother earth.

N-1.jpg

Sunday morning, we went back to the same berry patch of the evening prior, figuring they would return. They did. Picked up a single. On the third sweep afterwards, Rica got birdy, and her nose which was skimming the ground, led us to the rest of the covey. Grouse flushed in every direction. One tried to fly ten feet directly overhead, Another whirred to the right. A double lay on the ground to be aptly recovered by that wirehair. Twenty minutes after the first bird, Rica had her limit of three blue grouse.

N-3.jpg

As some of you may may recall, Scottyboy, Firstcoues, and I went last year to the Kaibab and got only one bird on a windy weekend. Rica made up for that this opening weekend.

Doug~RR

Red Rabbit

You will have to let us Know how those Blue Grouse Taste ! I hear they taste like CHICKEN.! :rolleyes:

Great story and hunt. That wind always seems to arrive around the 15th every year...

alright! Rica girl did well!!! thats awesome! did you go to the same area we were at last year? where scott, penny and i walked about 10 miles LOST!!! only to return to the road that camp was on and go the wrong way!

RR,

I was turkey hunting on Saturday on the west side and ran into grouse 3 times and bantails once. If you are going again or want the information for future hunts email me.

Rick

kfcpage@cableone.net

Casey,

I camped in the same spot Saturday night as last year. Marble View would be a great spot with a fantastic view... if there was no wind. Met three guys who were camped up the road which you and Scott were displaced from. They had not seen a bird there.

I saw only three deer: a doe, fawn, and 3 point. No turkey.

Doug~RR

Doug,

Posted the message below for you in your thread on MM. -TONY

Nice recap and pix!

Here's a link below that might explain at least one of the stone structures along 89. It's to an essay by Theodore Roosevelt about his North Rim cougar hunt.

Teddy's Lion Hunt

Also, if I recall there's still the remains of a building on the north side of 89 right near where the Houserock road heads south. Another road heading north goes right next to the building, which was a gas station/store that was still operating when I first started hunting the N. Kaibab in the early 1960s. But...the Big Saddle Camp, complete with its glass-bowled gas pump, stone lodge building, cabins and screened-in meat house were still there then, as well. We spent many nights homesteading there over several years before the camp became nothing more than history when Lady Bird Johnson went on her "beautify America" kick.

Mr Hoss, Marinated two breasts in garlic, lemon and herb oil dressing, then seared in butter and olive oil, then simmered in merlot. Tasted great, no fir taste, with a texture like Gambel quail. BTW, Rica got to sample the spoils of her efforts.

Tony, great story, thanks for the link.

Doug ~RR

Rojo,

Quite the story and pic's. Very impressive. You didn't happen to see any big brown furry creatures looking down at the Cocks Combs below did you?

Dave

Dave,

The game ranger said about 40 were spotted along the 223 road on the west side. Do you have a Kaibab deer tag that you are considering a buff tag?

RR