Sign in to follow this  
jmb1314

Unit 1 or 27? Mule Deer

I have 4 bonus points and am thinking about putting in for one of these units. I have not hunted either unit. Looks like I have better odds for unit 27. How is the pressure in these units? I don't mind hiking in and putting some miles on the boots, looks like you can get away from the roads in both units. I always put in 1st choice Kaibab just in case a miracle happens but i'm torn between these 2 units for my second choice. Do you think I have a good chance at either of these units with 4 points and which would you put in for?

I am leaning towards 27, I was planning on keeping points but i'm sick of seeing "not drawn"! I honestly just want to get up in the mountains and hunt. I will probably put in kaibab archery every year after I lose my points. I figure it will take me 10 plus years to draw a kaibab or strip hunt.

Also if there is another mule deer hunt that you think 4 points could get me let me know. I don't know what the deer densities are out there...

I have only put in for coues deer the last 20 years or so because the mulies have become almost extinct in both units #1 and #27. There are pockets of higher concentrations but I truly would feel guilty shooting one as few as there are now. If you pick unit #27 you will have to hunt real low where the better populations reside. Of course hunter pressure will be much greater in those areas as most hunters know what is being shared here. I'd recommend trying other units than those two for a chance at a better muly hunting experience.

Put in for kaibab late 1st choice and kaibab october hunt 2nd choice. You ought to be fairly close to that early kaibab tag and I would think you would have a better experience on that hunt than on either of these.

• Like 1

Hmm, I could maybe do that, I have the 4 points with no loyalty point or Hunter ed point so if I don't get drawn this year I should have 7 points next year correct? (assuming I take the hunters ed class)

Hmm, I could maybe do that, I have the 4 points with no loyalty point or Hunter ed point so if I don't get drawn this year I should have 7 points next year correct? (assuming I take the hunters ed class)

Yeah, that would put you at 7 and that october kaibab tag wouldn't be far away.

Yeah stay away from unit 1, if I draw it ill post pics of a big coues I've been watching.

Last year 7 pts was a 95% draw for the early hunt, all bets could be off by this time next year depending on what GF does with the whole lic. and tag deal. If I had 6 or 7 pts. right now I would probably try and cash them in on the bab because there is now way I will put in for premium deer or elk if they go that route.