Sign in to follow this  
azslim

"Smart" Optics

Wonder what some of you think about his. Personally I'm old school and feel you should learn how to shoot yourself. I think this crosses the fair chase line. Due have to admit though that it would save a lot of money I spent making bullets and figuring out my holds, but I enjoyed the learning.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/trackingpoint-tests-new-optics-on-hogs-from-helicopter/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=May%2016%202013%20Daily%20Newswire%20(1)&utm_content=

I think we all knew this was coming but now that it is here it certainly causes an inner debate in myself. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

Could be great for handicapped or debilitated hunters.

Could potentially eliminate or greatly reduce the chances of just wounding an animal (depending on how it works).

Could be a great system for first time hunters, or those who get a bad case of "buck fever"

Depending on how you look at the situation, gives the old school guys that much more pride and if the system fails you better believe whoever is using the system will wish they had just learned it the old school way.

Money Saver (depending on how much this system is going to cost...)

Cons:

Fair chase is tricky, this blurs the line for sure.

Could potentially become required if animal rights groups get ahold of it (in the name of humane taking of game), no one wants another law.

Eliminates a ton of excitement, preparation, and true skill.

Could become reckless if the system fails.

This reminds me of the other article I read today about the "James Bond" type weapon recognition system, just too much technology and if it all comes crashing down, what are we left with? In this case a bunch of nimwit non-marksmen and weapons that wont fire. I highly doubt it will change things too much in the next 50 years, after that who knows.

Just my 2cents