Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

'Simplified' Fees by AZGFD

What is the definition of a "premium elk"?

+1

they could care less what the public thinks, attending a meeting is just a waste of time and gas, their minds are already made up and they are planning how to spend the new dollars they will get from us

this post has got a bunch of likes, but even tho you agree with me we still have to give it a shot to try and change their minds, I posted the email to let G&F know what we think about their proposed changes, take the time to send them one or two lines telling them you disagree with the proposal and that they are creating a Rich/Poor structure that will further divide hunters. I'd support a $5 to $20 increase across the board before I would support this Premium hunt crap.

here is the email to send your comment to - LicenseSimplification@azgfd.gov

good chance we are wasting our time, but we need to give it a shot

• Like 4

Well I think you all know how I feel about what was posted here. But does it surprise any of you? I, along with many others, have said it time and time again. AZGFD is just a bunch of money hungry thieves. They had to figure out a quick way to get that $100,000 they gave to Wagner haha but in all seriousness this is ridiculous. No one will support them in this yet the day after their meetings they will come out saying that the vast majority of people supported them in this and it will pass. Their "suggestions" or "recommendations" for the public are what they are going to do. They only put it out for the public so it looks like they gave everyone a chance to give their opinions. With no one to answer to and no end to the power they have it is only going to get worse. What's gonna stop them from raising them next year and the next? NOTHING. Glad to see you're seeing the light flatlander!

Bonecollector777

Dude you seriously need to just quit hunting. Take up needle working or gardening. You piss and moan more than anyone I have ever heard or seen on this site. Once you grow up and understand the real world and how it is not perfect, How there are economics and budgets and politics everywhere you turn, you will be such a much happier person. The world is not out to get you and make all your hunting experiences horrible. Its good that have a voice and evidently you like to voice it every chance you get. That is your right as an American. Complaining about it on a website does no good unless you are proactive. Join conservation groups, donate money to them, be heavily involved with them. Better yet it sounds like you need to be a politician. Because what you are complaining about on every single post is way way above your pay grade son. And your not going to change it. Enjoy your day. And smile today.

• Like 4

We kept the premium tags out tghe last time they got approval. This is what happens when you lwt your guard down enjoy your 114 ek tag while it lasts September archery bull hunters because it5 will be your last! This is rotten to the core!

premium elk - premium deer ---- isn't anything more than the rut hunt - everyone knows this is the most desirable time to be hunting them.

they've been limiting these hunts for yrs. now they don't want you to go out and hunt at the best time unless you PAY!!!

with split tag fees - paper applications are finished - as we all know was gonna happen anyway . but the only way they can do it is online only!! pay the fee after the draw .

guess they got to pay more for a simple computer app- oh yeah we already know the hassle of the online process - now its gonna cost 13$ application fee - total B.S.

simplify the licensing and fee structure - like a business - goal of any business - make more money!!

• Like 1

This is ridiculous! I am sorry for name calling but these idiots have just pissed me off. I get that you have to raise prices (of any product) over time to continue to provide a service but this is just screwing all of us. Premium elk hunt??? Are you kidding me?

In this economy I have a hard enough time trying to pay for healthcare and gas now they want to raise tag prices. They should at least off set this cost by giving some free youth tags. I'm so sick of G&F's poor oversight and mismanagement

I put in all over the west each year just wishing to get drawn anywhere i can. In new mexico for instance i put close to 800 dollars on the line each year to get drawn for elk. I consider paying anything under 500 a real bargain to go elk hunting in any state including mine, and i hope that the tag price increases will decrease the number of applicants. I don't have a lot of money either so this isn't some kind of rich guy poor guy thing, so i hope this doesn't get twisted around on me by someone else. It's to hard to get drawn as it is , so higher prices tend to weed out some people from putting in including their grandmother's second cousin who married uncle bart so they can go for a couple of days. I hope there is a tag price increase every other year or so, just to curb the numbers off applicants if anything.

• Like 2

Well I think you all know how I feel about what was posted here. But does it surprise any of you? I, along with many others, have said it time and time again. AZGFD is just a bunch of money hungry thieves. They had to figure out a quick way to get that $100,000 they gave to Wagner haha but in all seriousness this is ridiculous. No one will support them in this yet the day after their meetings they will come out saying that the vast majority of people supported them in this and it will pass. Their "suggestions" or "recommendations" for the public are what they are going to do. They only put it out for the public so it looks like they gave everyone a chance to give their opinions. With no one to answer to and no end to the power they have it is only going to get worse. What's gonna stop them from raising them next year and the next? NOTHING. Glad to see you're seeing the light flatlander!

'AZGFD is a just a bunch of money hungry......' Really? You must not know many Wildlife Managers in this state. In case you haven't noticed, EVERYTHING is more expensive and is changing every year (not just with AZ G&F). Do you really expect the department to run on the same budget they have in the past? The whole 'it's all about money' argument makes it sound like the department is getting rich off of this stuff. Again, do you actuall know many folks in the department at the grass roots level?

I agree with your comments regarding their solicitation of opinions, to a point. You're right in that not much is going to stop them from raising fees in the future. Tough crap for you and I! It's simple economics.... ;)

Get involved and organize your input. Letters, phone calls, and participation in Commission meetings may not change the world, but it can't hurt, IMO.

S.

• Like 1

I put in all over the west each year just wishing to get drawn anywhere i can. In new mexico for instance i put close to 800 dollars on the line each year to get drawn for elk. I consider paying anything under 500 a real bargain to go elk hunting in any state including mine, and i hope that the tag price increases will decrease the number of applicants. I don't have a lot of money either so this isn't some kind of rich guy poor guy thing, so i hope this doesn't get twisted around on me by someone else. It's to hard to get drawn as it is , so higher prices tend to weed out some people from putting in including their grandmother's second cousin who married uncle bart so they can go for a couple of days. I hope there is a tag price increase every other year or so, just to curb the numbers off applicants if anything.

Yes it will WEED people out....namely kids who can't afford or who's parents can't afford the tags.

yeah, that's a great idea.... NOT! that's selfish of you! Higher prices weed out people with less money.... so poorer people. Not about rich guy poor guy? Just because you want better odds, raise the prices??? Oh I see your in Snottsdale!

Not a good way to have recruitment of new hunters or guys/gals with kids that like to hunt.

james

• Like 4

Wow, what a selfish attitude and stance to take! I work hard and have been blessed to be able to afford luxuries such as the occasional hunting trip. But the idea that they are going to have DRAMATIC increases, such at the ones proposed, that might make might hunting unaffordable to some of my fellow hunters really pisses me off. Additionally, there is a reason we pay less as AZ residents. Because we subsidize AZ Game and Fish with our taxes each year.

• Like 1

This is extremely serious.. Some thoughts after looking at the powerpoint presentation.

- The bill is called license simplification but the real impacts to the public are in how hunting tags are classified.....this doesn't seem honest to me.

- I do not understand how a 365 day license helps anyone.....you still need to buy a license every year and now Arizona Game and Fish would need to track an anniversary date for each hunter. Seems like this could be also be abused to affect residency for people that live in different states part of the year. I do not get it. I feel like there is a rotten aspect to this that I still havent figured out.

- $5.00 keys to the kingdom licenses for resident and non-resident youth. I hope point averaging on group applications will be addressed as part of this. I can also see some shady group claiming that more NR licenses purchased means higher NR demand and use it to challenge the 10% tag allocation for non-residents.

- Premium pricing within a species will push hunters into separate buckets. It will be difficult to apply for trophy hunts and back them up with easier to draw hunts. Right now hunters pay with TIME and MONEY. This is just a thinly veiled way of weeding people out of a line they have been standing in for years. It will also push some of the trophy hunters into the mid-tier hunts. These concepts look alot like how Utah handles their tags. Utah hunters hate their system. AZGFD will lose all credibility if they support this.

- Premium hunt designations also make it easier to funnel tags into raflle and auction programs. It also makes it easier to justify future prices increases for these tags.

People need to show up to the meeting on Monday or write game and fish and tell them they would rather pay a little more for all tags than have tags broken into VALUE categories. Breaking tags into different price points within a species is the first step toward surrendering control of who hunts where and will push Arizona into a place where outfitters rather than families hunt.

Ryan

I have never had the luxury of spending money on an out of state tag.

I find it difficult to fund the hunting that I get to do in state.

License

Tags

Gas

Food

Camping gear

Ammo

All of these have gone up in price while the value of my dollar and work have gone down. Heck even my chicken feed has gone up.

I don't like getting priced out of hunting but honestly it is getting that way. Special fees for land access. Camp ground fees at lakes.......it all adds up to stay home and mow the lawn..........

But my biggest concern is the approach under "simplified"........which really rings out at simple yes because it is a price hike, plain and simple...........

• Like 1

I'm going to have to side somewhat with couesmagnet on this one, I was hoping for some family structured stuff like discounts for multiple tags in the same family and the like so we don't price kids out of it but i guess most of you are right in saying its all about the money, well it has to be in order to run a company so its going to happen, how often do you really go elk hunting anyway, i saved the cash for a full on pack trip hunt 3 years ago and have been sitting on it and have spent a total of 22.00 dollars so far so if I do get drawn it will be like over 5 or 6 years the elk tag will be spread out. Most don't go every year anyway so it ends up being like 50 buck a year if you handle your money right. The only thing I see that doesn't make sense is that how do they think they can price our non resident hunts higher than most other states? I put in for Nevada and it would be 50 bucks less at least? Prices are going to go up and most likely need to but I think they may price themselves out of some non residents.

I bough 4 OTC tags this morning and it was 83 bucks. Hard to beat that.

I will be going to the Wickenburg meeting for sure to give my 2 cents if possible.

I'm going to have to side somewhat with couesmagnet on this one, I was hoping for some family structured stuff like discounts for multiple tags in the same family and the like so we don't price kids out of it but i guess most of you are right in saying its all about the money, well it has to be in order to run a company so its going to happen, how often do you really go elk hunting anyway, i saved the cash for a full on pack trip hunt 3 years ago and have been sitting on it and have spent a total of 22.00 dollars so far so if I do get drawn it will be like over 5 or 6 years the elk tag will be spread out. Most don't go every year anyway so it ends up being like 50 buck a year if you handle your money right. The only thing I see that doesn't make sense is that how do they think they can price our non resident hunts higher than most other states? I put in for Nevada and it would be 50 bucks less at least? Prices are going to go up and most likely need to but I think they may price themselves out of some non residents.

I bough 4 OTC tags this morning and it was 83 bucks. Hard to beat that.

I will be going to the Wickenburg meeting for sure to give my 2 cents if possible.

Yes, the cost of running a business does increase and so at times prices must also go up. However, those price increases usually equate to small 5%-10% increases. If you average the proposed tiered cost of an elk tag, it equates to a 37.4% increase. Most companies trying a price hike like that would find themselves out of business.