Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

'Simplified' Fees by AZGFD

According to Hunt Arizona there were appx 1,133,000 applications not including pheasant and crane. That times 5.5 the dollar amount of the application increase is about 6.3 million in new revenue. I'm sure the actual number is higher. 6.3 million before any tag price increases. Just how much more do they want/need?

I was at the Phoenix meeting tonight. The turnout wasn't great but there was plenty of input given, My observations...

- The 365 day tag - Still on the fence with this, apparently they have had input that more tags would be bought if people got the full 365 days of use from the point of purchase. My gut tells me this is a bad idea but I could probably be swayed if the argument was strong enough.

- A couple fisherman liked the reduced prices for fishing.

- Noone spoke in favor of the premium hunt structure, not a soul. About five people spoke against it and some of them were even outfitters.

- One guy liked the application fee increase but then commented that all of the other states listed on the powerpoint presentation sent him a "unsuccessful" notice this year. It was no surprise that he didnt mind the higher application fee proposal.

- The speaker indicated that AZGFD sent out a random survey to solicit feedback from a sample of Arizona hunters. If you were one of the people lucky enough to get a survey and you dislike the impacts of a premium hunt structure, please send in your survey and let them know your thoughts. You are special and you have the golden ticket.

Like I said, tonights meeting was low turnout but the important meetings are the commission meetings, I believe there will be one in June and July. The meetings that have the commisioners present will be the best forum to speak about the things you dont like.

As usual I found the AZ Game and Fish guys to be pretty straight shooters, they get input from so many stakeholders that it is a balancing act. The commision (four people) is kind of a separate entity from the AZGFD leadership and they wield alot of power in this case and it is important they get balanced input from everyone, not just the usual squeaky wheels from the wildlife groups and commercial interests. Even if you dont hunt premium units, you will be impacted by premium hunters jumping into your "general" unit. People need to understand that this will impact them even more than the auction/raffle tag grab attempt that happened last year. There are thousands of big game hunters in Arizona and the little posse that forms to protect the interests of the average joes could use some reinforcements at the next commission meeting.

Ryan

I know I'm not lucky, but I also got the survey. Even made a thread to see how many other folks got one...

I don't care about cost, I will still hunt. Y'all can piss and moan all you want, but none of you won't hunt because it costs more. Just like you all bought Prius's (ok at least a V6) instead of your 1 ton lifted monster because gas is double what it was. Oh wait I still haven't seen a CWT sticker on a Prius...

You just have to learn to do something unAmerican today, work a little extra anytime you can, spend a little less and save some money.

All this whining has the same entitlement smell as occupy, welfare and hippies.

Like I said, tonights meeting was low...turnout but the important meetings are the commission meetings, I believe there will be one in June and July. The meetings that have the commisioners present will be the best forum to speak about the things you dont like.

As usual I found the AZ Game and Fish guys to be pretty straight shooters, they get input from so many stakeholders that it is a balancing act. The commision (four people) is kind of a separate entity from the AZGFD leadership and they wield alot of power in this case and it is important they get balanced input from everyone, not just the usual squeaky wheels from the wildlife groups and commercial interests. Even if you dont hunt premium units, you will be impacted by premium hunters jumping into your "general" unit. People need to understand that this will impact them even more than the auction/raffle tag grab attempt that happened last year. There are thousands of big game hunters in Arizona and the little posse that forms to protect the interests of the average joes could use some reinforcements at the next commission meeting.

Ryan

Nicely put Ryan, we only had 8 people that weren't from azgfd at the Mesa meeting last night.

TJ

TJ, there was that one guy that had to leave early... I was surprise so many showed, usually it's just a couple in Mesa.

Ryan, I think the Mesa meeting fairly mirrored the Phx one based on your commentary.

Thanks for those that came and spoke up, there were some very insightful views and alternatives expressed.

Kent

I know I'm not lucky, but I also got the survey. Even made a thread to see how many other folks got one...

I don't care about cost, I will still hunt. Y'all can piss and moan all you want, but none of you won't hunt because it costs more. Just like you all bought Prius's (ok at least a V6) instead of your 1 ton lifted monster because gas is double what it was. Oh wait I still haven't seen a CWT sticker on a Prius...

You just have to learn to do something unAmerican today, work a little extra anytime you can, spend a little less and save some money.

All this whining has the same entitlement smell as occupy, welfare and hippies.

Well..... I don't know about that.... Whining about prices going up sounds pretty dang American to me.

Are the increases enough to stop me from putting in for the hunts I want? Nope. I sent in my comments, I hope they listen, but if they don't I'll get over it.

I would like them to ditch the premium tag thing though. That is just a gouge, It's not enough of an increase to keep people from putting in for those hunts, there is no added value, it's just an excuse to raise the price more. It's hard enough to get drawn for those hunts, the least they could do is give it to ya for the same price as the rest of the tags.

Tonight is the Tucson meeting if anyone wants to attend....

I will be there.

TJ, there was that one guy that had to leave early... I was surprise so many showed, usually it's just a couple in Mesa.

Ryan, I think the Mesa meeting fairly mirrored the Phx one based on your commentary.

Thanks for those that came and spoke up, there were some very insightful views and alternatives expressed.

Kent

Thanks for coming to the meeting Kent. I would liked to have met you. Where were you sitting? :)

TJ

Motoxno53 - glad to hear you will be at the Tucson meeting, please post up a summary of how it goes and bring some friends with you if you can.

For the guy that claims this to be "whining", you amuse me. If you knew many of the guys that have posted on this thread you woulkd know they do alot more than whine when they dont like things.

I didn't attend, but I watched the end of the meeting.....I appreciated your thoughtful comments Javihammer! I wish I had seen the whole meeting. Many thanks to those that attended.

I will add those that I know attended to the conservation challenge.

Javihammer

krp

TJhunt2

corky Richardson

darr colburn

am I missing someone? If you attended and spoke at the meeting post about it and then you get entered free in the CW conservation challenge.

for more info on the challenge:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2013/04/coueswhitetail-com-wildlife-conservation-challenge/

TJ, I was the one that asked you what you came up with as a count. You looked familiar, I guess from your pictures here, but I didn't put it together till you posted today.

Next time I'll introduce myself. good seeing you buddy.

Kent

As the guy that called it whining I re read the thread. I stand behind the whining comment and wasn't the first to point it out. To amuse you some more,I'm sure they do. Stomping, falling down, rolling, crying while kicking and screaming. :-)

I didn't name anyone or call them out. Just said that all the whining smells like occupy, welfare and hippies. Which when we make it everyone should be equal and afford to go hunting. Hunting shouldn't be for the wealthy just like college right 99%?

I did the magic survey and its headed back to them. I am going to compose a letter as well. I am not saying folks aren't doing more just pointing out that I see a bit of libtard from folks who present themselves as the anti-libtard. Last I checked occupy did more than whine too...

I wasn't able to make it to the meeting last night but I did watch the phoenix meeting online that had about 55 online viewers I believe. Here is a little bit of my opinion for what its worth and some questions I have about the presentation last night.

I understand that G&F is a business and businesses are out to make money. I can't fault them for that because there is no such thing as too much money and realize that prices always go up on any product or service being sold for any length of time. When you look at the slide in the presentation that shows how the expenses to run G&F has gone up it is pretty obvious that they are going to have to raise the prices. Everyone should be able to understand that gas prices have gone up and they are claiming a 40% increase which is understandable. My family has two companies that I manage and I know that Obamacare almost put us out of business with the required insurance we would have to provide for all of our employees, so the 69% increase for employee insurance is also understandable thanks to Mr President.

I do think the price jump is a little steep in some parts of their plan but these prices are not set in stone yet and will hopefully come down a bit.

I do like the new license structure that includes the urban and two pole stam for only an extra $3 but I would like to see them send out an actual license when I purchase one online instead of having to print one out. (Regular paper just doesn't last in my wallet)

I don't like the premium hunt being implemented, but it sounds like from the meetings it should be shot down unless the commission over rides our thoughts and goes through with it anyway which he could.

There are a couple things that I was wondering about that I didn't hear mentioned.

First off, I didn't hear anything about OTC archery deer. Will the December and January OTC hunt prices be raised if the premium hunt plan goes through? I am assuming it will stay the same but wasn't sure.

Second, The speaker last night showed the slide to compare our "concept" prices to the other states which looks like we would take the lead for highest prices and the speaker kept saying that it is hard to compare us with other states but I did not hear an example on why it is so hard to compare us with other states. Then he showed the slide that shows how many elk tags are given out per state and we have the lowest amount of tags among the 7 states. Again he emphasized that it is almost impossible to compare us to these other states with no example. Since no example was provided the only example that came to mind was that we have to sell our tags at a higher price because we have less product to work with. I understand supply and demand, but could it be that our G&F is working outside their budget for the product they have? ........just a thought that came to mind.......

I usually don't like posting in any of the controversy threads and I am not trying to defend G&F or choose a side to get me blasted for saying anything, but I thought I would throw out my thoughts on this one.

OTC tags stay the same, no premium... Mesa meeting... there was concern expressed over whether some units might close to archery in dec because of the premium rifle tags. This emphasizes the class/social problems of a premium system. Hunter against hunter and the same issues could come up in the early archery elk hunts where cow hunts are going on the same time as premium bull hunts.

Comparing az to other states is a PR blunder, AZ has set the bar in the west for many years, we do not need to lower to the common denominator, they are not the punblic school system. We are not like other states in numbers and draw system and shouldn't try to be.

13 bucks seems steep of an app fee.

Prices have to go up, it's been 7 years.

Pittman/Robinson funds are addressed in the license changes and I support generally those.

Drop the premium hunt idea completely, a few bucks on all tags across the board generate just as much increase, which isn't much.

Kent

• Like 3