Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

'Simplified' Fees by AZGFD

Like I said, tonights meeting was low...turnout but the important meetings are the commission meetings, I believe there will be one in June and July. The meetings that have the commisioners present will be the best forum to speak about the things you dont like.

As usual I found the AZ Game and Fish guys to be pretty straight shooters, they get input from so many stakeholders that it is a balancing act. The commision (four people) is kind of a separate entity from the AZGFD leadership and they wield alot of power in this case and it is important they get balanced input from everyone, not just the usual squeaky wheels from the wildlife groups and commercial interests. Even if you dont hunt premium units, you will be impacted by premium hunters jumping into your "general" unit. People need to understand that this will impact them even more than the auction/raffle tag grab attempt that happened last year. There are thousands of big game hunters in Arizona and the little posse that forms to protect the interests of the average joes could use some reinforcements at the next commission meeting.

Ryan

Nicely put Ryan, we only had 8 people that weren't from azgfd at the Mesa meeting last night.

TJ

Sorry I was not there with you all, but I very much appreciate those who attended and did send an email to AZGFD. I believe in putting your money where your mouth is and I have certainly done my share of talking on the issue. If the June/July meetings are on any day other than Monday I'll be there with you. With my job Mondays are the one day that it is not possible for me to attend. Thanks again to all who went.

I cannot argue with the last round of comments from kent and gjmauro and most of the other respondents. Operations costs have gone up over the last 7 years and there will need to be some increases to tag prices. I am of the opinion that spreading the increases equally for all tags within the species is far more desirable than establishing a premium structure. Some people will look at the premium increases superficially and think it will reduce competition and increase their odds. This may be true in the very short term but the difference in price will almost certainly widen (the new bill removes price caps) over time and the draw advantages will become less meaningful.

Like I said before, the proponents of the premium structure will at some point lobby for separate bonus point pools and drawings which will add a whole new layer of application fees and transaction costs. They also tend to argue for tag reductions for "premium" units and in some rare cases moving tags from one weapon to another. Setting these tags aside also makes it easier to divert them into auctions and raffles. I am kind of interested in the questions about the premium hunt structure on the survey that was sent out. Would one of the special people that got the golden ticket be willing to post the survey questions?

I think someone mentioned the "time" they already have invested in premium tags and the fact that they may not be able to afford to apply in the future. I think that is a very important point because most economists will agree that time has value assocated with it and to make decisions without consideration of that value is not considering all of the information.

Anyway, there are no bad guys when it comes to the people willing to show up to meetings. We all have busy lives and competing priorities, even if you disagree with my opinions I respect that you were willing to make your voice heard. Two thumbs up to the guys that were at the meeting last night and the guys that will be at the rest of the meetings....even Wickenburg :).

If you cannot make the meetings you should send your comments to the license simplification email box, there is a link on the AZGFD license simplification page.

Ryan

• Like 1

I think the premium system is actually a good idea. The problem is I don't consider any elk or deer hunt in AZ to be of the premium caliber.

I already sent my survey but the questions were basically if elk tags cost this much I would still buy one with a scale of strong disagree to strong agree.

It asked if one supported the premium hunt can't remember how it was structured, but I wrote on mine, my first paragraph of this post. I don't disagree with the idea, but there is no hunt worthy of being premium here. Especially 36a in December as the 9th rifle hunt.

There was a question about cheaper cow tags vs bull. I agree as there is less meat.

In all it was about 10 questions 4 or 5 of the scale of agreement level. Then some about what percentage of increase is acceptable.

It was really nothing special.

At first I was very opposed to a premium tag system but the more I think about it the more I'm beginning to somewhat like the idea. I have a few ideas, concerns and questions about this system. One of my main concerns is that I don't fully agree with the current method in which the G&F would determine which tags are premium or not. Just because the tag is during the rut shouldn't automatically classify it as a premium tag. I think that most of us would agree that a unit 6 archery bull tag is not in the same class as a unit 9 archery bull tag. Don't get me wrong a unit 6 archery bull tag is a good tag but I wouldn't consider it a premium tag. In my opinion one way to better determine which class a tag would belong to is by the tags draw percentage from the previous year. So if a tag had a draw odd of 7% or under for example then it would be labeled as a premium tag.

Overall I think they should leave it the way it is. I feel we have a great system in place that has been working for us for years no need to chage it.

I don't if this has been brought up yet or not but why did the G&F decided to call this 'Simplified' Fees? Can someone please explain how this new system simplifies things?

I think some of the post that have the simple math in them are the best to go by, until the why is answered on the increases being suggested at such a large increase. I know everyone I have talked to that hunts has said they will have to reduce hunting vacations if these fees go in. I still think by budgeting you can get it done but when I look at my costs for the year as some others have I agree the App fee is high and if myself my son and daughter are going to hunt or put in as planned for the year my costs will be up by hundreds of dollars. I will still go for it but I think the revenue will be down overall as not all folks are as hooked as we are.

I will do my best to study the ins and outs of this deal and hit the meeting and send in email and start putting some extra cash in the cookie jar.

Just looking overall at some other states I think AZ would be higher in price and I have yet to see any valid reason as far as quality hunting for the average joe.

Colorado Elk is looking better and better next year.