Sign in to follow this  
AZ Ground Pounders

October Coues Hunt vs December Rut Hunt

Are December Coues Hunts worth the wait? Over the past 3 years the AZ Ground Pounders have proven that the buck of your life just may be found on the easy to draw October tag.  During the October hunts over the past 3 years AZ Ground Pounders guides and hunters have taken many bucks over 100 inches including a 117, 120 and a 131 inch typical giant. While the late hunt may be the most wonderful time of the year for a coues hunter one AZ Ground Pounder Guide waited 9 years between coues Tags and ended up killing a 125 plus buck. In those 9 years the AZ Ground Pounders killed or guided 20 bucks over 100 inches. You can decide for yourself but it has been proven that if you put the time in (or hire the AZ Ground Pounders to put the time in for you) a trophy buck is possible with the easy to draw October Coues Tag.

steel+profile+pic.JPG

385064_312537948759716_1582201010_n.jpg

IMG959543.jpg

13032706.jpeg

75480001.jpg

IMG953664.jpg

IMG_0019.JPG

13041603.jpeg

Hunting+album+063.JPG

13038966.jpeg

IMG_0133.JPG

View the full article

• Like 2

You guy's are killing some great bucks. I have come to the same conclusion, I had a great October last year although I didn't harvest anything as nice as those.

Great job guys! Couldn't agree more, while I would love a late hunt I will always put in for Oct. hunts.

To me, the biggest bonus in December is the fact that there are only 39 other (in most cases) hunters out and about, most of the time they have a general idea of what they are doing so its not too often you have a hunter come and start throwing rocks down the canyon you have been glassing for the past 3 hours (although I have had that happen on a December hunt). I hate having to compete with 15,000 other people for an area to hunt.

• Like 2

To me, the biggest bonus in December is the fact that there are only 39 other (in most cases) hunters out and about, most of the time they have a general idea of what they are doing so its not too often you have a hunter come and start throwing rocks down the canyon you have been glassing for the past 3 hours (although I have had that happen on a December hunt). I hate having to compete with 15,000 other people for an area to hunt.

+1

I agree that less hunters is a great advantage. We have found that when more hunters are in the area the harder we have to work at getting away from the road hunters and rock throwers. Big bucks live in places where they are hard to hunt. That's how they got big. It is amazing what you can find when you look where others don't or won't.

Thanks for sharing some of your success with us and thanks again for being a sponsor here on cwt. Good luck to all your clients and to your success. Can't wait to see what this year brings from AZ Ground Pounders. :)

TJ

I agree! I also agree that most guides will and do find bigger Buck's than most hunters. If I spent my time or living in the woods I'm sure I would kill a really nice buck regardless if it was a Oct or Dec tag. I usually spend a lot of time hunting and scouting, but I will never get to spend as much time in the woods as most guides do. If most of us had 1/4 of the information that most guides have I'm sure we would be killing bigger Bucks more often. I'm not bashing guides. They work very hard and have spent their time in the woods, that's why they find quality Bucks in every hunt. All I'm saying is I fully expect most guides to find quality Bucks in most early hunts. I am usually able to do the same, but I'm not always able to spend the quality time in the woods that I want or is needed to find a quality Buck every time.

You guy’s have killed some really nice Buck’s. Keep up the good work!

Adam

• Like 1

The key word here is ... SCOUTING!

Unfortunately some of us do not have the time to do that or the money to hire and outfitter :(

Ernesto C

if you are going to get out and find a big buck before the season your odds of harvesting are greatest in the Oct hunt. if you are not going to get out and scout than you might as well go with the Nov or Dec hunts when it is cooler. The Oct hunt is usually nice and warm. Scouting in Aug and Sept is even warmer. Nothing like burning your eyes on sunscreen sweat when you are trying to glass.

• Like 1

Nothing like burning your eyes on sunscreen sweat when you are trying to glass.

That is the absolute worst part of scouting in aug and sept. I bought a gaiter from Colombia just so I don't have to wear sunscreen on my face...