ThomC

The defination of a "Premium Hunt"

Premium Hunt: Early archery bull without cow hunters traipsing through the woods on their semi-annual cow hunt.I don't have a problem with the premium tag pricing structure. It's not like you'd be paying it every year. I've got 21 points for lope, do you really think I care how much the tag is going to eventually cost?G&F rates have been steady for many years. Dollar is not worth much, G&F needs more money.Wildlife is the property of the state, don't you think we should get top dollar for our wildlife? We are lucky the tags are a lottery and not sealed bid.Ante up!

And that sums up the Premium Hunt problem: pitting one hunter against another. That cow hunter has just as much right to be out in the woods as the Premium bull hunter.

Do we really want to divide the hunting community like this?

You are right in that we definitely don't want to pitt hunters against each other, but with the current structure of the bull and cow hunts going on at the same time, this is already happening. If the archery bull elk hunt were to be considered a "premium" hunt then there would need to be some sort of restructuring to make sure it does not overlap with a non-premium hunt, which in my opinion would truely make the bull hunt a premium hunt.

There are definitely some hunts that have more "value" than other hunts as is evident with the number of applicants and draw percentages for the different hunts. In what other industry is a more valuable product not more expensive than a less valueable product? If you really wanted to make hunting an equal opportunity for all then the cost of deer should be the same as sheep.

I find it interesting that there is this discussion about implementing different fees for "premium" hunts while there is another thread about "fee simplification". Kindof counterintuitive!

I have a question on the fee structure that is proposed. It has probably been answered in one of the topics already so I apologize if this is beating a dead horse. But does the new premium fee include archery deer hunts during December and January? And if they don't I am glad but if they do would we buy a OTC deer tag for August and September and then have to purchase a stamp for Dec and Jan if we wanted to hunt those months like we do for waterfowl? Just askin.

I asked that same question at the meeting... it would only be draw hunts not OTC... the draw achery hunts above the ditch would be a premium.

Kent

Premium Hunt: Early archery bull without cow hunters traipsing through the woods on their semi-annual cow hunt.I don't have a problem with the premium tag pricing structure. It's not like you'd be paying it every year. I've got 21 points for lope, do you really think I care how much the tag is going to eventually cost?G&F rates have been steady for many years. Dollar is not worth much, G&F needs more money.Wildlife is the property of the state, don't you think we should get top dollar for our wildlife? We are lucky the tags are a lottery and not sealed bid.Ante up!

And that sums up the Premium Hunt problem: pitting one hunter against another. That cow hunter has just as much right to be out in the woods as the Premium bull hunter.

Do we really want to divide the hunting community like this?

You are right in that we definitely don't want to pitt hunters against each other, but with the current structure of the bull and cow hunts going on at the same time, this is already happening. If the archery bull elk hunt were to be considered a "premium" hunt then there would need to be some sort of restructuring to make sure it does not overlap with a non-premium hunt, which in my opinion would truely make the bull hunt a premium hunt.

There are definitely some hunts that have more "value" than other hunts as is evident with the number of applicants and draw percentages for the different hunts. In what other industry is a more valuable product not more expensive than a less valueable product? If you really wanted to make hunting an equal opportunity for all then the cost of deer should be the same as sheep.

I find it interesting that there is this discussion about implementing different fees for "premium" hunts while there is another thread about "fee simplification". Kindof counterintuitive!

Dont be confused by the wording. "Simplification, premium, and the best one conceptual." :D

Nice bar Gotbowaz, When is Happy Happy Happy Hour. Cheers

I am an advocate of allocating some hunts at higher prices for a two-fold reason, one for revenue and the other, to steer only serious hunters towards those hunts. I don't think it needs to be all early bulls across the board but there is room for improvement.

The other thing I would be in favor of is a 3 year wait after drawing a bull tag and a 5 bonus point minimum or some other filter to keep 10 year olds from drawing early bull tags.

Before you all go ballistic, think about what this means. How many 'kids' really need a September bull hunt? I think the guys and gals that have been applying for a while should have the preference on these types of hunts. The kids have their own hunts (junior tags) but the adults don't have their own hunts.

There are many ways to do this, raising the price across the board is NOT the best way in my opinion.

. I don't think your odds will get better by creating a premium hunt. It's just an illusion to get you to pay more for the hunts. For example my uncle's in Utah have been applying for so called premium elk hunt in Utah for 15 years still haven't drawn. I think you will be sorry you voted for it when the odds don't change.

. I don't think your odds will get better by creating a premium hunt. It's just an illusion to get you to pay more for the hunts. For example my uncle's in Utah have been applying for so called premium elk hunt in Utah for 15 years still haven't drawn. I think you will be sorry you voted for it when the odds don't change.

And that's exactly what I believe will happen too.

I am an advocate of allocating some hunts at higher prices for a two-fold reason, one for revenue and the other, to steer only serious hunters towards those hunts. I don't think it needs to be all early bulls across the board but there is room for improvement.

The other thing I would be in favor of is a 3 year wait after drawing a bull tag and a 5 bonus point minimum or some other filter to keep 10 year olds from drawing early bull tags.

Before you all go ballistic, think about what this means. How many 'kids' really need a September bull hunt? I think the guys and gals that have been applying for a while should have the preference on these types of hunts. The kids have their own hunts (junior tags) but the adults don't have their own hunts.

There are many ways to do this, raising the price across the board is NOT the best way in my opinion.

Now, the next question is : How do you define a "serious hunter?" By age, money, bonus points, or whatever?

Now, the next question is : How do you define a "serious hunter?" By age, money, bonus points, or whatever?

Just a few comments on this.

The first is for Sneaker When your job takes you out of state you can still apply for a non-resident tag at reasonable price and donate the differance to the G&FD. But do not penallize out of staters, they may have been born and raised in arizona only to find there jobs taking them elsewhere.

The second is for catclaw You can submit your tax return with your application so that the G&FD can increase your fees based on what you make. Please explain to me what makes you a more serious hunter than me?

In 2007 we the hunters in general did not like the Trouphy or Premium tag why would we want it now?

I fill there should be a minimal increase based on a cross the board percentage ( 3 - 5%) for all tags, resident and non-resident alike. The G&FD needs to do a internal review of all employees and get rid of there dead beats and clean house on those that are waisting funds. It has been over 5 years sence I have seen a cost of living raise and I am still able to raise a family and still budget my founds to allow me to do some hunting. The G&FD should do the same.

What makes a 110 whitetail in October any less of a trouphy than one taken in December? What makes a 190 mule deer from the strip any more of a 190 mule deer from the 30 units?

DCM

Here are my definitions:

-- A "premium" hunt is any hunt for which I've drawn a tag.

-- A "quality" animal is any animal I decide to take on my "premium" hunt.

-- A "trophy" is not judged with a tape measure.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Governors tag = A premium hunt.....! Why raise the tag fees or sell more tags to shorter hunts to raise a few $ ....Just issue a few more governors tags for the monetarily elite!

Making more tags for shorter hunts only creates hunter pressure/interference!

I hunt to get the heck away from people and I never have or will put in for any combat hunt in AZ or any other state! If I want a combat hunt I can go to any number of the eastern states and hunt elbow to elbow with beer drinkin Bubba!

The practice that the fees generated by the AZGFD are a source of revenue for the states general fund goes against the goals of responsible game and environment management ....

The AZGFD was the only state agency in the black and then the politicians robbed the sportsman by sweeping the AZGFD funds into the general fund ....Now money is an issue that decides how many tags and what kind of hunts there are!