Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Swhackers for bull elk? Updated testing..

I watched every you tube video there is on this head from bear to javelina, but there is no elk kills.If you have a success story or failure could you post some feedback please. I have killed elk with muzzys, but after personally swhacking a javelina in january I was very impressed. I will be shooting 70 lbs with a 480 grain ish arrow setup with a heavy FOC with the 2" head. I think I'm going to test this head on a beef hide with a beef scapula behind it for the just in case scenario. So any pros or cons from you guys would be appreciated. Not concerned about other b-heads just this one. Thx...Toby

Update... They work pretty good.

post-5912-0-22899900-1379609892_thumb.jpg

I bought 3 packs. Went antelope hunting. 5 shots later the poor antelope was dead.

I didn't give them away - I THREW them away! Worst performing head I've ever used.

I'm sure others have had good results, but this was my experience.

I personally have never shot anything with them. I know Rick Forrest is on the site and I am sure he could tell you some success stories.

Shot a bull elk with one. Wasnt the best shot but blood trail was massive and the bull went about 200 yds and laid down. I bumped him an hour and half later. He ran about 500 yds after i bumped him and he died on the run from blood loss. Broadhead did its job and left me any easy trail to follow. Found the arrow and the broadhead was in good shape with no bent or broken blades.

I will definitely use again on any hunt.

I shot a pig this year with a shwacker and really thought it did a great job. I wouldn't have a issue shooting a elk with a shwacker. I found a video on YouTube with Cole van winkle's wife shooting a bull with one. I tried to post if but can't for some reason. Just search extreme AZ.

• Like 1

They destroyed the bear I shot last year. Had a 3" wide blood trail.

• Like 2

If they hit where your feild points do I would use them.The best broadheads on the planet aren't worth a darn if they don't hit where your aiming

• Like 4

the bull in my avatar was taken with a swhaker Brodhead went less than 60 yours and piled up. I shot him at 30yrds.

• Like 1

Here is my Wife's Archery Bull video from last year. She killed this bull using there Mathews Drenalin set at 55 LB and a 390 gn arrow and the 2' 100gn Swhacker. She hammer the off side should and didn't get a pass thru.

Cole

• Like 1

Here is the pictures of the bulls my brother has killed with the Swhacker 125gn in the past few years. Both bulls where shot in under 30 yards and both were done in under 50 yards. Both shots hit the off side should and didn't get a complete pass through but didn't need it due to all the blood that spraying out of his face

311776_2363036246450_1529096063_n.jpg

34633_1487606041242_4025349_n.jpg

• Like 1

Two years ago I shot a cow at 13yrds and it ran 20yrds and pumped blood out like it was pouring from a faucet and died within 5 minutes. This last year I double lunged a cow up high and it ran about 400 yrds with only 3 drops of blood. I couldn't figure out her trail and lost the meat after a good friend found it the next day. It bled inside and no blood on the ground. I'm done with swhackers altogether. I swore I would never use a mechanical ever on big game but just had to try out these swhackers. I don't like the idea they fold up and pull out if not a pass thru. Keep with fixed blades on big game and you won't have to worry about a mechanical not performing to it's fullest. Just my opinion!

TJ

• Like 4

As stated a few posts above, if you make a good shot and your broadhead hits where you need it to, the Elk will die no problem. Too many times, people blame broadheads for poor shots. Seems like they always make a "perfect" shot, and then do not find their elk. On elk, if you hit shoulder on the entrance, it really doesnt matter what head you have, you just need to get lucky. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

I shot a bull with a fixed 3 blade and it didnt bleed on drop of blood. Hit him good and he died within 200 yds but still didnt bleed one drop. Dont hit them just right and it doesnt matter whst broadhead you use, they wont bleed.

• Like 4

As stated a few posts above, if you make a good shot and your broadhead hits where you need it to, the Elk will die no problem. Too many times, people blame broadheads for poor shots. Seems like they always make a "perfect" shot, and then do not find their elk. On elk, if you hit shoulder on the entrance, it really doesnt matter what head you have, you just need to get lucky. Good luck on your hunt.

After we quartered up my wife bull we found that her shot was as little high and forward and after looking at the lungs we found that she hit the top of one lung. Even with her still hitting one LUNG the bull still went 200 yards.

The other thing that a lot of people don't think about is how the hide,shoulder and chest cavity all move differently so the holes in the hide,shoulder and chest cavity will almost never line up at the same time when the animal is running to let blood pour out unless the arrow is still sticking out of the animal. If don't think this could happen then watch your dog walk or run or just grab it hide and pull on it and see what happens. This is just my thinking.

Cole

• Like 1