Sign in to follow this  
awatson

Night catfishing with kids

I'd like to take my 9 year old out for a night of catfishing somewhere within a few hours. Not necessarily for size (though if we got a big one he wouldn't be too sad!).

Problem is.....I have a buddy going with us who needs a hip replacement, so it's gotta be something we can drive to.

We're coming up from Tucson, so that's why I'm assuming te 3 hour drive... Shooting for next weekend. Any ideas??

Patagonia lame. bonecollector is right, any lake you choose to go, get there early catch some blues and use them for bait, has good for me in the past. Good luck to you and the kids B-)

Coues.... Are you talking about the Salt River just as it comes into Roosevelt?

Coues.... Are you talking about the Salt River just as it comes into Roosevelt?

If I was going to the Salt for catfish, that's the spot I would go to. Muddy Banks / Diversion area....... A well known 'not so secret' honey hole for cats! ;) We used to go there tons when I was in high school, and always had a blast. The problem at that location could be your buddy's hip though. It's about 90% river-rock and soft sand. :blink:

I've been to Bartlett a couple of times for cats, and we did pretty good. Plus at Bartlett you there are many places that you can drive right to the water. Depending on your friend's condition, that might be something for you to check-out.

Good luck!

S.

:)

Thanks for the replys. I think we're headed to Bartlett.

I've never been there. We're taking off next Friday and fishing all night until Saturday morning. Will it be packed this time of year? Pretty close to Phoenix.

Any advice as to best end of lake for Cats, easiest access, etc...?

+1 on catching bluegill for bait. I think that will help your odds of getting a big one.

Are you talking about the Salt River just as it comes into Roosevelt?

Just back from a few days on the Salt in that area. River is low and the fishing was really slow. Had heard favorable reports from anglers in the last few weeks but 2 guys, 4 rods for 48+ hours we managed 3 fish...and everyone we talked to was doing worse than us.

just get on google earth to find all the easy access points- the river end can be crowded but getting there Friday will help -- the roads paved almost to the lake