WildHeritageTaxidermy

It's that time again...ATAA Convention in Mesa.

It's time for the 22nd Annual Arizona Taxidermy Artists Association Show and Convention.....

We are doing a couple things different this year...

1. There will be a free seminar on Thurs evening for anyone who is interested in taxidermy. (you do not have to be a member of the ATAA to come to this seminar)

2. There will be a "Commercial Division" this is to display your regular commercial work, this gives you a chance to bring a piece or two even if you did not have a "show piece" this year.

Saturday is open to the public, so come and vote for your favorite mounts!

There is more information on the flyer below....

post-3674-0-72387500-1370191529_thumb.jpeg

How late is it open Saturday? Would love to come look around.

Good luck this year and I'm anxious to see what you bring to the table this year. I'm sure it will be outstanding. :)

TJ

Not a problem. I found the info. Wish I could have made it but I had to work to late.

Couple of my opinions. AND I might get some bashing for this but its my opinion. Let me first just say I like the taxidermy competitions. Its a great venue. BUT there is a major flaw lately and the main reason that I have not been attending these. I know that a handful of taxidermists are entering mounts into one competition, getting them judged, then taking them home, fixing the problems, and entering them into another competition, until they achieve that blue or first place ribbon. I saw on the flier there something about mounts can't be entered before but that simply looks to be under this so called "commercial division". And maybe its changed but I doubt it. I feel like you should only get one shot, when you think its perfect, enter it. What you get is what you get. ANYONE can get a blue ribbon by entering and fixing over and over again. Whats the point in that??? It totally changes the true value and meaning of those BLUE RIBBONS! Mount what you mount and take it for what it is. When you think it makes that ribbon enter it. If it didn't make it try again WITH A DIFFERENT MOUNT!

I think they should start up a totally new competition. A mount on site challenge. Then you would be comparing apples to apples. Here is your form, here is your time limit. Have at it, when its done its done.

Ah, competitions! Personally, I hate them. But I love the venue for a tool to learn and to educate. And, there are always flaws in the process. It can’t be helped. My thought is that an Artist approaches a competition as competing against him/herself only. Learn from the experience and incorporate those things into your Next piece. You will see an improvement in what you turn out to your clients. Keep in mind though, everyone has their own style. Find yours! And, in fact, that is why there are Multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ribbons given in each category. Yes, there are awards for ‘Best of’ in each category but they need to be received more humbly when you are only competing against a few others. AZ is a small taxidermy association. How can you claim to be #1 when you have only competed against a handful of others? Now, go to the Nationals or World shows and you have my attention. Regarding the new ‘commercial division’, this division allows a piece to be judged from 3 feet away. There is No comparison between a piece in this division and one that is judged and critiqued with full hands on, magnifiers and flashlight. As for the association, if nothing else, enjoy the camaraderie of meeting and reconnecting with your peers! Constructive discussion on what you expect from your state association and the competitions is good but I can tell you, if I asked 6 different people what they wanted to get out of it, I would probably get 6 different answers.

Devin and Hunter58,

I appreciate your opinions, we ask every year what taxidermists like or don't like about the convention, what they want to see, what they could do without. Why they do or don't attend. We try to encourage all taxidermists to be a member even if they don't compete.

The annual convention is not just a competition, is is a place to learn with seminars from some of the best taxidermists in the country, advance our craft by learning the newest techniques and getting to speak directly to the vendors about concerns and maybe ideas.

As far as taxidermists entering multiple state shows and "fixing" the mounts after each show, well that is their prerogative, and I know there are some who do this. Some are not chasing the ribbon, but trying to learn what is wrong and fix it, to better the mount, and their knowledge of that species. Not all taxidermists who enter multiple shows do that, some enter other state shows to have their piece judged by a different judge to get a different opinion, with out changing anything on the mount between shows. There was a competitor this year who took his mounts to another state and placed a 2nd in professional division. He came home "fixed" the things that judge felt was wrong and entered them into the Az show and placed 3rd in the professional division, so what you are concerned about can and sometimes does backfire for those that try.

My work / abilities improve every time I do a competition piece. Not only do I try to push myself to a new level, but the in-depth reference study, altering, sculpting, trying and perfecting new finishing techniques ect. that are required to compete and win, has never failed to improve my art. And that all happens before I even load up for the show! I know it is not for everybody, but it works for me.

There has been some interest voiced already about a live deer mounting competition, if there is enough interest and enough help and support from the members to organize it, we can certainly put something like that together at the convention. The association IS the members! You will only have a voice if you join. These conventions are intended not only to improve the art of taxidermy as a whole, but also to improve the public's perception of the industry. In the long run, it can only help those who make a living in this industry. As we all know, hunting, and ALL related industries are what I would call "endangered" and may soon be EXTINCT if we don't get and stay united. I urge all taxidermists from hobbyist's to the largest shops to get involved, for everyone's good, including yours and mine!

Here is a link to the new website, check it out and contact an Officer or a Board member for more information....

www.arizonataxidermyassociation.com/

• Like 1