Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Free Float or not?

So I have a few different rifles, Vanguard, Savage 110, Axis, Thompson Center Venture, and Tikka t3.

Only the Savage and the Venture has a free floated barrel, and consequently they seem to be the most accurate of all.

Maybe I'm answering my own question, but is free floating always superior in accuracy? All the other rifles are accurate, but for example my Vanguard starts to jump around when it heats up, and it's tough to have fun at the range if you have to cool the barrel often. also hard to determine the best load to shoot. Any thoughts? Should I have my other rifles free floated and action bed? Weatherby told me it voids any warranty if I float it.

Bed the action first shoot it and see if it improved then if its not shooting good float the barrel.With the cost of ammo i just buy a custom stock now.

I think you will come across some rifles that shoot very well that are not free floated. That being said I think the majority of tack drivers have free floating barrells.

that would be the best use of my credit card in years.

So are there aftermarket stocks that are free float or it is better to just modify the original stock?

Just put new stocks on my 7mm sendaro and my rem 270. Got them from stockys. Changes to timney triggers on both, now out to have bedded and floated. Check them out if you are going to order stocks. Love both of mine.

Quit wasting time and money on loads and development. Free float them and be done with it.

Developing an accurate load with a rifle not free floated, then floating often causes inaccuracies. This is due to different harmonic reactions or lack of reactions. A normal harmonic action will happen with a floated barrel. New load development is likely needed but the overall accuracy potential should be better.

With all that in mind, there is nothing wrong with the first inch or so ahead of the recoil lug being bedded. Most of the harmonics or vibrations occur after this section

I agree bed the actions and float or buy a stock that has a bedding block already as part. I have had one rifle out of about 20 that shot better with the a full bedding job through the stock, not free floated. It was my dads old JC Higgins 270 in its original stock, but even that will be free floated once we change the old tired barrel.

Some guns shoot better with a pressure point on the barrel but most of those have a poorly fit action. Bed the action and then float the barrel and it should be more consistent. If you float the barrel with a poorly fit action it could shoot worse.

Float! Easy and inexpensive to do. Own a M70 in .375 H&H that was finicky with a float job but my other rifles responded well immediately when bedded and floated. A previous post mentioned bedding slightly beyond the recoil lug which I normally do. The M70 shot best when floated at the lug. Have fun!

Definitely agree with floating the barrel and bedding the action. I've had a a few different gunsmiths tell me that floating the barrel is pointless unless you bed the action. All three of my hunting rifles are bedded/floated and their accuracy went through the roof with quality factory ammo. After I started handloading for them, it just got better!

Free floating will most likely improve accuracy along with a properly bedded action. However an improperly bedded action will have the opposite effect. I had a rifle re-stocked and bedded by a "professional" rifle builder, it truly shot like crap, that is until I took it out of the brand new fiberglass stock and replaced it with the original Remington wood chassis and bedded it myself.