Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Unit 10 Early Rifle Bull

Good Afternoon fellow Hunters. I am new to this so bear with me.{ no pun intended} I am mostly an avid Mule deer hunter. This year I drew a unit 10 early rifle bull tag. I know it is a big unit with much diversity and private land. I recently went to check out the unit and had a few questions if anyone can answer. I have been told that there is some good hunting around Cataract Canyon. Would that be the north or south end? I also came across a road closure at the north end of Rose wells. Is that also closed during the hunt? Also was told that there are elk out in the north praries. Is that possible? Any info on the unit would be helpful. Thanks. Muley224

That is a hunt to spend the money on, go guide service all the way or lose out on the opportunities provided by so much expertise. You have drawn one of the elite bull tags, call Mullins guide service!

Thanks. I have been contacted by many outfitters. I am a DIY hunter. Am planning on going up there for a full 3 weeks before the hunt.

• Like 1

If you plan on spending that much time before the hunt scouting you don't need a outfitter.but one thin, you might have 20 screaming bulls one week before the hunt going nuts and the day of your hunt they might all be gone so stay on them,Good Luck

Seldom Drawn

I have lots of experience In the unit and most is shed hunting but I've been apart of my dad an his partner having early archery tags there as well. It's a phenomenal unit but just because its a "trophy unit" doesn't mean you will get a good bull. We spend hours and miles looking for sheds and during the hunt we had many good bulls but that also came with the price of scouting and many miles on the ground daily. 10 is like any other unit if you don't put time In you will be mildly successful. If you have time to hit the back country you will exceed and excell! Good luck and congradulations on my dream hunt. Plan to put the miles on and wear a few pair of boots out. If you're that dedicated you shouldn't have a problem finding a bull of a lifetime

Muley224, I respect the dIY hunt as I to enjoy getting it done, only after enjoying putting in the work. The only reason I suggest a guide service is the time they spend year round in the unit, really gives them an advantage. Each year they all create "hit lists" for the best bulls in the unit, some of which comes from time spent covering the unit from the ground and some of which comes from the air. I wish you the very best and hope to see you post a 380 plus bull! Many Blessings, Ken

Thanks for the comments. I have had many successful Mule Deer hunts in the last 35 years. I know that putting time in the unit is a givin. A lot of us cant afford the cost of a guided hunt. I have no problem cutting country all day. I would also be happy to give anyone info on 12aw, 12ae, and 12b, for mulies. Have taken some great bucks, and assisted on many others. Just not that familiar with 10. Going to try to concentrate on one area. Too big to be running around. Wondering if Rose Well road will be open to travel through. Actually have hunted the early rifle Bull hunt in 1996 in unit 22 and 2010 in 3a/3c. Had no idea with 4 pts would draw this tag. Not looking for anyones honeyhole, just some general starting points. Thanks.

Thanks Dave. Is it OK to call in the evening? Jeff

Sorry Flash, I don't click on links sent to me in emails.