Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

Future doctor

I just wanted to share some good news with my friends on the forum. Today I was accepted at the University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix Campus and will be starting med school July 8th. Its kinda funny that one of my first thoughts was that I am still going to get to hunt coues through school! Anyway, its definitely a life changing event for me and wanted to share it. Everyone has horror stories of the doctor's office so what advice do you all have for me? Bear down!

Congratulations!

Advice for you - if surgery is needed on a man's right ear make sure you operate on his right ear - not the left one! Sorry, still have a chip on my shoulder from a past procedure.

Congratulations....that a very exciting phone call or letter to get!

I hunted more in dental school and residency than I did in undergrad and a few years I worked in between.

Good luck with those student loans... :rolleyes:

Congratulations! that's great news!

For advice, I would say try to listen to patients more and don't stop questioning what you think you know.....there are all kinds of biases we develop in our thinking and if you aren't aware of those, then you can make mistakes. I read an article recently that many hospitals/doctors don't want to institute simple safety procedures in operating rooms because they believe they are already 100% safe and they don't make mistakes. And yet study after study shows that medical mistakes happen and simple safety protocols prevent errors.

some safety checklists

http://www.who.int/patientsafety/implementation/checklists/en/

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot...Make sure you marry a Sun Devil...balances out the family.

• Like 2

Haha DUG I did!!! Thank you all for the advice. I have definitely recognized the value of listening to patients while shadowing and working in the Safford ER. The best docs I work with did more listening than talking.

The absolute BEST advice is LISTEN to NURSES

They know the:

1. job

2. patients

3. Policy

4. Meds

5. Routine

6. Families of patients

I have another 492 more but you get the point....

Yes I am a nurse.

More D

• Like 1

Congrats Bryson!

Congratulations! Please remember that everybody's time is valuable. Please don't make people wait hours so that you don't have to wait minutes. Unless they are on AHCCCS, take the people who work for their insurance first!

• Like 1

The absolute BEST advice is LISTEN to NURSES

They know the:

1. job

2. patients

3. Policy

4. Meds

5. Routine

6. Families of patients

I have another 492 more but you get the point....

Yes I am a nurse.

More D

And more importantly nurses can make your life heck...so listen to them!

Kidding aside, listen to your patients and their families and also all members of the healthcare team. Too many folks feel like they're working independently or know it all when we're all working together and should rely on each other's strengths to the betterment of the patient.

And congrats...keep hunting throughout school. You're going to need some sort of relief outlet!

Bryson - I'm the Director of Facilities Management on that campus. I'll be doing your safety and security orientation. Congrats and be sure to track me down. Its a fairly small campus, I'm easy to find.