Hey guys I am considering purchasing a rifle chambered in 260 Remington and am looking for opinions on it (good or bad). It would be used solely for coues hunting. I am totally new and not familiar with the round and had a couple questions: 1st being reloading, is it easy to reload?.....is it hard to find components for it? 2nd question is it capable of making a clean kill at 400-500 yards.... or beyond? 3rd question is how is its recoil compared to a .243? I appreciate any comments on this!

I don't know to much about this but what I looked up.one is it has very little recoil two is it is great out to 300 yards or so. I have not looked at any bal. charts so maybe a 400yard gun. I would say if the price is good pick it up

Hey guys I am considering purchasing a rifle chambered in 260 Remington and am looking for opinions on it (good or bad). It would be used solely for coues hunting. I am totally new and not familiar with the round and had a couple questions: 1st being reloading, is it easy to reload?.....is it hard to find components for it? 2nd question is it capable of making a clean kill at 400-500 yards.... or beyond? 3rd question is how is its recoil compared to a .243? I appreciate any comments on this!
The 260 makes a fine coues rifle. Ballistically, running 140 grain VLDs, Amaxs or SSTs, it has enough stones to get the job done on coues out to 800 yards. Maybe more depending on bullet selection, velocity etc...

Comparing it to the 243, it uses the same case but overall the 260 is much stronger down range. Much heavier bullets with much higher BCs. It'll have a bit more recoil but still very very low. And better barrel life to boot!

As far as reloading, typically it is not too finicky. Finding supplies? In the current situation, it can be hard to find supplies for many calibers but normally, they're as easy to find as most anything else.

• Like 1

Should be easy to reload. Cartridge is based on the 308 winchester, necked down to 6.5 mm (.264). For brass you can use 243, 7-08, or 308 and full length resize to 260. The cartridge is fairly popular in F class (up to 1000 yards) competitions these days, due to its light recoil and great long range performance of 6.5 bullets. If I didn't have my 25 caliber rifles, I would probably pick one up. If you're quick, shootersproshop has Nosler 260 brass and 6.5 130 gr Accubonds on sale now. I think you would be happy with it. With 130 or 140 grain bullets, you could probably use it for elk as well.

Load data: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

What 308 and Wano said is spot on. I have had a couple 260 AIs and now have a 260 Rem and a 6.5X47L, the 260 is slightly superior ballistically but otherwise equal. I would be confident out to 600-700 yds. with either using a 130 gr. VLD on CWT. Recoil IMO is right between a 308 and 243, otherwise pretty light recoil.

308nut knows what he is talking about!!! The 260 is a great round and becoming more and more popular. I have been looking for a good deal on a rem 700 so I can build a 260. I don't think you would be disappointed with it

If anyone knows about cartridges, it's the Nut ...

.260 is a fine round for Coues ... make it an AI and it gets even a little better, though I don't think it is totally necessary unless you are hankering to tinker.

A .260 is a fine cartridge and is about perfect for deer. It was my primary rifle for over 5 years a while back.

Components are easy to find and/or form (I'd be thinking Lapua cases). Barrel life is forever, recoil is negligible. With 130's and 140's you'll notice a bit more than a .243 but relatively speaking the .260 has very little recoil. The rifle stock fit and configuration will likely be more important in your felt recoil.

I'd be thinking high BC bullets, which is why 6.5mm's shine. Topping this list would be the soon to be released 129 Nosler LR Accubond. Close begind would be either the 130 or 140 Berger offerings, or even the 123 Scenar. The 140 Ballistic Tip would be a good long range performer as well. Get you a Leupold with an M1 and a good LR, you have a legitimate 700+ yard cartridge if you want to put in the time.

Dependent on barrel length, powder, and your handloads, if you maximize the cartdige's potential, you can generally expect 3,150+ with 100's, 2,900+ with 120's, 2,800+ with 130's, and 2,700+ with 140's...

What rifle are you pondering purchasing?

One of my favorites and absolutely awesome. Ballistically superior to a 308 in every way unless a 200 plus grain bullet used. Excellent b.c. and very high sectional densities make this cartridge much more deadly and effective at long range. Recoil is mild and a 140 berger at 2800 fps will duplicate trajectories of the much larger 300 wm with about 20 grains less powder.

The last build I did for a friend using a savage action and a 24" heavy sporter shilen barrel with federal 308 cases necked down and neck turned with 43.5 grains of H4350 produced a velocity of 2860 with a 140 berger with no pressure signs. Run those numbers against a 308 or a 30-06 and even a 300 win mag and if that don't tickle your fancy something is wrong with you. Yeah the 300 is going to hit harder but it sure as heck should considering bullet weight and the amount of powder used.

One of my favorites and absolutely awesome. Ballistically superior to a 308 in every way unless a 200 plus grain bullet used. Excellent b.c. and very high sectional densities make this cartridge much more deadly and effective at long range. Recoil is mild and a 140 berger at 2800 fps will duplicate trajectories of the much larger 300 wm with about 20 grains less powder.

Bull crap....again

I don't speak for AverageJoe but I think he's just trying to say the no rounds are superior or inferior to another. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Superior is a broad and subjective term. The 300 win mag is superior to the 260 in SOME categories and the 260 is superior to the 300 win mag in SOME categories but it is largely subjective and based on a given application AND what's important to the shooter. The 260 is a GREAT cartridge for the original posters application and needs but the 260 or any other 6.5 cartridge is not the end all be all of modern hunting rifles. While it is fairly obvious that you have no love for the 30 cals of any variety, the original poster was interested in comparing the 243 to the 260. Not the 260 to the 308, 30-06 or 300 win mag.

I do mean all the respect in the above post for you and the 260.

• Like 1

I own plenty of 30 cals and love shooting them but when it comes to hunting and making a long shot when it counts the 30 cals are the last caliber I reach for. I don't hate any caliber but I will openly admit that I have my favorites. I only brought up the 30 cals for comparison as most everyone is familiar with their performance and don't question their ability to take game even at long range. The 260 and 6.5s however are often looked at as not being big enough or effective for hunting big game which could not be further from the truth. Since the 260 is based off the 308 I felt there was a literal connection to compare the two.