Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Kids Bow

My boys are turning 4 and 5 this August and they would really like bows that they can shoot with Daddy. I know there is a bunch of different bows for youngsters and I have seen guys post pics of their little ones shooting, so what bow should I get them started with? I see Bear Scout at like Sportsman's and Bass Pro has anybody used one?

The bear will be a bit tough for them to pull back at 4 and 5. Not impossible, just very tough. My son had one st that age. I would go with the kids longbow or recurve first so they can pull it back easier and at least get to shoot.

I agree, I bought a youth compound bow last year, my 6 y.o was able to pull it back but not the 5 y.o. A recurve would be a better choice at the age of your little ones. I believe I bought the Barret compound bow kit, it came with a few arrows, however the arrows are about 5" too long and mostly do not fly very well.

The bowtech diamond atomic is a great bow for a beginner. My grand kids started a year ago at the age of 3 and 4. Unfortunately they only get to practice a couple of times a year( they live in CO). Right now I think they are set at 15" draw at about 8# draw weight. These bows will go to 24" draw and 30#s. Costly to start but should take them to teenage years .

I feel the little ones should start with recurve/longbows, so they can learn to use the basics of archery and progress from there. The skills learned from the "old" bows will give more confidence if they decide to stay with it...

You wouldnt get them a race car for their first vehicle, start them off with a honda...

True, but I didn't learn to drive in a Model T either <_<

The bowtech diamond atomic is a great bow for a beginner. My grand kids started a year ago at the age of 3 and 4. Unfortunately they only get to practice a couple of times a year( they live in CO). Right now I think they are set at 15" draw at about 8# draw weight. These bows will go to 24" draw and 30#s. Costly to start but should take them to teenage years .

+1 just bought this one for our 5 year old. He has been shooting the bear since he has 3, we stepped him up and I put a d loop on so he can shoot with a release. Loves it

Another shout out for the Diamond Atomic. My 5.5 year old son inherited his older sister's Diamond Nuclear Ice (precursor to the Atomic) and was pulling 13 lbs last year at 4.5 years old (with a little help from dad). This year, he is pulling that 13.5 pounds like a champ and drilling the target. He's only shooting at 5 yards to build his confidence and form, but he's not far from stepping back to 10 yards. He's using a release without a d-loop and he's doing awesome. I posted a pic a while back if you want to take a look.

My two oldest boys started out with Diamond Razor Edge bows. Even the lower poundage limbs might be too much for a 5-6 year old, but these bows definitely grow with an 11-15 year old archer. When my oldest turned 16 we got him a Mathews Switchback, (used, on this forum), and he handed his Razor down to his youngest brother. Probably the "next step up" for your boys, but they sure are great bows for growing shooters.

You might want to look at the 2013 Diamond Infinite Edge. I just picked it up for my grandson at Bass Pro and what a sweet little bow that can last him the rest of his life if he chooses.

Draw weight from 5 pounds to 70 pounds, draw length, 15 inches to 30 inches. IBO 310fps, it is hunt ready with 3 pin sights and octane pro 3 brush capture rest, and peep sight. $349.00 plus tax. total weight is 3.5 lbs

They have them in camo black ops and pink. I may pick up a pink one for my wife.

GBA

GBA - My buddy runs Desert Archery in Holbrook and they are Bowtech/Diamond dealers. He also recommended the Infinite Edge but wasn't sure that my boys would be quite ready to handle it. Maybe I will have him set one up and let them try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

We still need to go hit up that wilderness spot we discussed a while back. I will shoot you a PM.

I bought the infinite edge. Awesome bow and if my needs change I could throw it in a press and set it up for my wife, or myself. Sweet bow.

I bought the Bear Goblin for my kids to get them started. I think I paid $20 or $30 for it when they were 6 and 5.

The best thing is that it can work both ways left or right handed.

One of my boys is lefty and the other right… It helped me so I didn't have to buy two bows.

Now the older of the two boys 9 shoots a Hoyt Ruckes which he loves...