Santana Outdoors

Seeking Predator Calling Tips

another tip... if you get busted by a yote and he starts barking with short howls non stop ( warning bark)... pack it up and go at least 3-4 miles....

may seem extreme distance but they are letting all the dogs no you are there!

as far as how far I go depends on the type of terrain it is; hills, thick cover. ect.... A mile as twowindy says is a good mark.

James

• Like 1

Good info all.

I firmly believe that a quiet approach to a stand is paramount. Whether walking or using a vehicle, for me, a "sound barrier" is critical. A ridge between you or your vehicle and the intended calling area covers a lot of sins. Once across a sound barrier, I move quietly (slow) as my calling area is now exposed to any movement or sounds from me or my equipment. Try not to move too far before sitting down. Give it a couple minutes to let things settle and then begin calling

When on stand, if things feel right and the wind stays favorable, no reason not to stay 20-30 minutes depending on what kind a predators frequent the area. Another trick is to stop calling after 10 minutes and wait another 5 or 10 to see if a curious predator will expose itself.

Good luck!

• Like 2

you can call all day!

yotes are opportunistic eaters.... hard to pass a free meal... so they think.

I have called plenty a dawg in the day time. The first dawgs I called were around noon and it was a triple with a simple howl! the result was a bit embarrassing though.. LOL! didn't bag any. missed at 40yds and the lead was a flyin... the yotes went from zero to 50 in a blink of an eye.

the more quality stands the better your odds of calling in a critter... which was part of twowindy's theory. I think he said he gets like 22 stands or so in a day. even with his short calling time that's a lot... if I get 12 in a day I'm happy.

obviously it's hot now so that is hard to do.. at least until it cools.

the pups will leave the den around end of September/October. The absolute BEST time to get out and call, IMO!

If you are salvaging pelts you prolly want to wait till it gets cooler.

With all that said I absolutely love the first and last stand of the day! If I had to pick only 1 it would be the first stand in the morning right at first light.

James

• Like 2

I call all day most of the time.If the wind gets to howling I head for home.Cloudy calm days are the best but you don't get two many days like that.I agree with JLW the first and last stand are the best.I do better in the morning on coyotes and the last three stands are best for fox or bobcats.I start in the open country for coyotes and try to end my day in thicker cover for fox and cats.

• Like 1

Following the advice on this thread, a ton of reading and questions on PredatorTalk as well as some other random websites I've had some luck.

• (08/10) This last weekend was a bust, I had them yipping and barking at me on my first set saying "your busted" withing 5 seconds of the rabbit distress.
  • (08/03) The weekend prior I had a coyote come in around 9am but the wind was not favorable and he got the sent before I could put a bead on him. Later that afternoon I had a mountain lion come in which I missed the shot, I'll be kicking myself probably forever on that one. Was sure I hit him but searched for blood for 6 hours that day and went back the following for another 8 hours with a hound to not find a drop. The hound likes to chase quail I've established.
  • (07/27) The weekend prior I missed a coyote running at about 40 yards.
  • (07/20) The weekend before that which was my first day out feeling like I had a grasp on what I was trying to accomplish, I had a large bobcat come in. Out of season and furs not prime but I'll see if I can't get him come December.

So all in all I haven’t killed anything but it's been exciting, I’ve learned quite a bit and my confidence is high. Soon enough I'll be dropping predators.

• Like 1

when im setting up for a stand I follow these simple rules

always have the wind in your face even when driving to your hunting area

the call and decoy set at 25 yds and either in a tree or bush height is your friend (decoy mojo critter) on ground unless its the wood pecker))

I use a shotgun so I stand to see further out

shooting sticks a must guns do get heavy

stands last 15-20 min then I pack it up and move on