Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

vortex bino's

There not bad glass the 12x50 hd are good. Im a Minox guy myself either way you cant go wrong.

In that price range you could probably get the Viper HDs. I have them and think they are outstanding for the price point. Also, each August for the past several years Bass Pro has done their binocular trade in. You can take a cheap old pair, or even a cheap Wal-Mart pair, and save a chunk of money. I think it is $100 off with a trade in on binoculars over $500.

• Like 1

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a pair of Vortex over my Swaros. For the price, Vortex are some of the best glass on the market. Their warranty is second to none, too. I have a Vortex Nomad spotter and love it. I just put a Vortex Diamondback on my daughter's new hunting rifle and I'm amazed at how clear the glass is for what we paid for it.

Bottom line: you won't regret getting Vortex!

• Like 3

In that price range you could probably get the Viper HDs. I have them and think they are outstanding for the price point. Also, each August for the past several years Bass Pro has done their binocular trade in. You can take a cheap old pair, or even a cheap Wal-Mart pair, and save a chunk of money. I think it is $100 off with a trade in on binoculars over $500.

Exactly what I did last year and got the viper hd's.

I have the Diamondback 10x42. They were recommended by good amount of people here on the forum. Best $ I've spent, I love my pair of Diamondbacks. You really can't beat the warranty.

I love my 15x50 Viper HD's.

I even decided to test the warranty (month or so ago) and sent them in to repair some minor scratches on the front lenses as well as some eye-cup damage after my tripod fell over. Vortex had them repaired and return shipped within 12 hours of receiving them - no questions asked.

When FedEx "delivered" them to my home - but I never received them (and was at home at the alleged time of delivery) I couldn't believe it! I couldn't get any action/resolution from FedEx as they needed to "conduct a 48 hour internal investigation" on where my package had been delivered. I called Vortex, hoping they had some pull with FedEx, and explained the situation. THEY DID - within 6 hours of my phone call to Vortex I received my fully repaired binos. All along I received several friendly follow-up emails/phone calls from Vortex staff keeping me apprised of their discussions with FedEx. Needless to say I was blown away with the warranty/service that everyone talks about - it was the real deal for me.

I won't say the optic quality is on level with top of the line brands, but for the money I am TOTALLY satisfied with Vortex and will continue to purchase their line of products.

• Like 2

I love my 15x50 Viper HD's.

I even decided to test the warranty (month or so ago) and sent them in to repair some minor scratches on the front lenses as well as some eye-cup damage after my tripod fell over. Vortex had them repaired and return shipped within 12 hours of receiving them - no questions asked.

When FedEx "delivered" them to my home - but I never received them (and was at home at the alleged time of delivery) I couldn't believe it! I couldn't get any action/resolution from FedEx as they needed to "conduct a 48 hour internal investigation" on where my package had been delivered. I called Vortex, hoping they had some pull with FedEx, and explained the situation. THEY DID - within 6 hours of my phone call to Vortex I received my fully repaired binos. All along I received several friendly follow-up emails/phone calls from Vortex staff keeping me apprised of their discussions with FedEx. Needless to say I was blown away with the warranty/service that everyone talks about - it was the real deal for me.

I won't say the optic quality is on level with top of the line brands, but for the money I am TOTALLY satisfied with Vortex and will continue to purchase their line of products.

Great feedback on your experience. I love my vipers! As you suggested are they as good as Swaros? Probably not. But they are also about 1/4 the price. Are the Swaros 4 times better? In my opinion, they are definitely not!

Find someone who has Vortex binos and spend some time glassing through them. They are very good optics, but i can't look through a pair for longer than a few minutes without getting a very bad headache. That's just me though everyone is different.

Are the Swaros 4 times better? In my opinion, they are definitely not!

That's the point I was trying to convey in my previous post, but failed.

• Like 1

Find someone who has Vortex binos and spend some time glassing through them. They are very good optics, but i can't look through a pair for longer than a few minutes without getting a very bad headache. That's just me though everyone is different.

I bought a used pair of Kaibab's and they gave me headaches like you described. So I sent them in to Vortex and they were out of alignment. They fixed them for free and I have not had any problems since. I am very happy with them and don't regret the purchase.

Love my Vortex. I have the 15x50 Viper HD and the Kaibab 15x56 HD and love them both. Kaibab's have all around better clarity and color, but for your budget you can't beat the Viper HD.

This is the best advice that you're going to get. Everyone's eyes are different and like different glass. I for one feel that swarovskis are worth the money as they along with leica are the only glass I can look through that doesnt mess with my eyes and give me headaches.

If your eyes like them after a long time observing then yes, they are good glasses. If not, look for something else. Don't make the mistake of ordering a pair without having spent time behind them.

I've got the 10x42 Razor HD's. They are really nice. I actually liked the Zeiss better, but you just can't touch the Vortex Warranty, so I got them instead. I am not disappointed.