Becker

Backpacks!!! Looking for some info

Who manufactures these tipis/stove? What is the cost? I'd like to research it.

Viper

There are now a lot of companies who manufacture the tipi stove combos. Off hand I would suggest looking at kifaru, ti goat, and I have been hearing good things about seek outside.

Also check out the backpacking forum on 24hourcampfire...can search for threads on there about these combos. Also checkout the rokslide forum and kifaru has a forum as welll. The kifaru forum has a place where used gear is posted and you can sometimes find really good deals if patient. That is where I picked up my tipi.

The tipi can be spendy so be prepared haha

Sorry about spelling et al as I'm trying to type on my phone

I vote Kuiu, I have used mine for a year now and am sold on it. Now I can only compare it to my eberlestock dragon fly and by Badlands 2200, Badlands 4500. I am also in Tucson and if you want to look at it let me know. I have the 3000 and new 7200

Chris

I vote Kuiu, I have used mine for a year now and am sold on it. Now I can only compare it to my eberlestock dragon fly and by Badlands 2200, Badlands 4500. I am also in Tucson and if you want to look at it let me know. I have the 3000 and new 7200

Chris

How does the Kuiu handle a rifle on board? I'm so sick and tired of packing around 9+lbs of just pack so I can have my Eberlestock......

You can pair the Kifaru gun bearer w the Kuiu. Going to be almost impossible to get lighter than that! You can also strap the rifle down if you are not hunting.

For a very reasonable tipi check go lite. Lots of vids and write ups on how to add a stove pipe hole that is fire proof. Lightest stove I have seen is Ti Mountain Goat out of Utah.

Chris

How does the Kuiu handle a rifle on board? I'm so sick and tired of packing around 9+lbs of just pack so I can have my Eberlestock......

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.... I have used two options to pack my rifle with my pack.... One I use if I am packing in the dark or not actively hunting....That is the method that sits the butt of the rifle in the pouches on the side and straps it to the side of the pack. This works GREAT.... hands free and really is just as good as my Eberlestock. The part that sets the Kuiu apart is is not having that scabbard hanging down. With my Eberlestock when I hike up or down hill I find I hit my leg on the barrel or on down hills I catch the barrel on the ground... so for me it kept me from using the Eberlestock scabbard a lot. The other method I use is when I want to be ready to shoot if something presents itself. That is the use of a Kifaru gun bearer as rcdinaz stated above. With the Kifaru it holds the butt and the chest strap of my pack secures across the stock just above my scope. I can very quickly have the rifle out and ready to shoot if needed. Again I do a lot of hiking and so I do not get a chance to use my sling as I tend to use my hands or trekking poles. Both methods are great and the pack supports the weight... Anyway thats my .02 cents...

Chris

Realize this is really late to the party but...Kifaru packs are the shizzle!

I have a Duplex frame and a Late Season. They fit awesome and I can carry way more weight than I though was possible, comfortably! It's all about the suspension and the shoulder lift. The waist belt also fits better than any, bar none! They will make a pack that will fit you, not one that comes out of the box to fit a general mold. For example I'm a skinny dude, and after a few days in the woods, a Badlands pack ain't fitting! Too big! Eberlestock...nice, but who wants to haul around a pack that starts out close to 10 pounds before you even put one thing in? Mystery Ranch, the new ones are on par with Kifaru. The older NICE frame design is nice for shorter guys, but no shoulder lift for the guys with a long torso.

If you really want to learn about packs, get on Rokslide or Bowsite and do some research on there. There is more info on those two sites than anywhere else I can think of...unless you are only want to learn about Kifaru. In that case, check out their forums. All you could ever want to know.

Good Luck,

Nick

I actually looked at these packs last night and there is no way they will be in this years budget. For this years hunting trip I will be using my Gregory Palisades pack. I know it isn't designed for hunting, but I have already loaded up with all of my hunting gear and it works fine. It is probably not designed for hauling out elk quarters, but that is what I have a pack frame in the truck for. I checked last night and the Palisades is $400 and is right under 5 lbs. The other packs might be better designed for hunting and a touch lighter, but for someone without unlimited hunting funds I will have to make due without the top of the line this year.