Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

Strange in Unit 22N- Your thoughts??

That answers that question....thanks

Those antlers look sawed off

Seldom drawn

I don't think they were cut. Couldnt see any marks on them that a blade would leave but I'm not a forensic scientist either. Here's a closer look.

post-4451-0-29661000-1372642394_thumb.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind those horns were sawed off and the remains appear to be weathered. I also have found a few skulls like that and always wondered the circumstances and why they would't take the whole skull and horns? Maybe just a small bull?

here is another one. interesting thing to me is how many people may know the story behind these bulls? Cool find, sad scenario!

post-5307-0-03039800-1372702659_thumb.jpg

It appears to be a natural result of antler shedding. The porouis areas atop the pedicle stubbs are where the osteoclast cells grow when the bull's testosterone level increases. Those cells weaken the connection between the antler and the to cause the shedding. All but the very tops of pedicle stubbs are under and/or surrounded by the hide.

I might add that many of these types of skulls I have found have had the rib cages nearby with obvious saw cuts through them. Still searching for an explanation on these findings?

As for the bull with hard horns. Likely a leftover that didn't shed or rub or rut, so Still white.<br />If it was this years rubbed early he would stain with blood and the tips would be a mess. I've seen that before.<br /><br />As far as all the bugling this time of year, Its mostly Cows Bugling. I see it all the time every year. Go look at them next time, its pretty cool!<br /><br />Those horns don't look cut off to me. That's just the natural pedestal. I find those all the time. I've seen plenty of cut off ones too. That's just the way it looks.<br /><br />Lance

http://www.timberlandoutfitters.blogspot.com/2013/06/tlo-interactive-seminar-and-class-by.html

I've seen it with deer. An acquaintance of mine years ago said he saw 'the big' one I had been hunting for several years in the August/September archery season just north of Phoenix in hard horn during the September part of the hunt. I laughed at him. A couple weeks later I saw him just after the season ended and he was indeed hard horned and already dark brown. His neck was huge. I was only 30 yards from him, there was no mistake. He was rut ready loooong before other buck were even near ready to strip velvet.

I think the oldest and most dominant animals are ready to go long before the others. Just my opinion.

/>

I think the oldest and most dominant animals are ready to go long before the others. Just my opinion.

I think I've had a gf or two that thought this...

/>

I think I've had a gf or two that thought this...

Not sure if I should call a technical foul on that comment or pat you on the back haha

I can't talk intelligently about whether the oldest and most dominant deer are ready to go first but with respect to elk I have seen both sides of it. Some monster bulls have a large harem in late August and appear "ready to go" and then again I witness many older bulls that let the younguns round up the cows and then come in later (sometimes real late) when most of the work is done and take over the operation! Interesting subject to discuss.

thats like the old joke where theres a young bull and old bull looking down on a heard of cows, the young bull says he's gonna run down a screw one of those cows, and the old bull says i'm gonna walk down and screw them all. sorry for the language