Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

A little help in 22

Hey all... I've been a member here for quite some time. I usually don't have much to add to your experience and therefor have been a tad quite. I have question you might consider e-scouting. However consider this... if you help me with a little knowlege I will be happy explooring "my" area and stay out of your beloved unit "42" :lol: I generaly hunt solo with a bow in unit 22 or 21. 22 is the lower half but I want to do a minimal style backpack trip into the mazatzals. Pack in, spend a few days, and pack out with a deer :rolleyes: In your experience what is the best access to get in? Barnhart, Deercreek, wesat side via bartlett or Horsehoe? Any help is appreciated. Thanks dudes. Again I hunt solo... I am tight lipped and am willing to scout but its a big area... a starting point would help.

The good news is that the whole mtn range holds deer, so I would just have fun exploring it. Any of those trail heads from the east side would be a good starting point, as Desert Bull said you can almost drive to the top of mt peely and that is probably the easiest way to get on the matzabal divide trail (this trail takes you everywhere up there, but is overgrown and burnt out in many places)

I wouldn't recommend coming in from the west because I have done it before and you hike 10 times as hard to get to the same area that you could have gotten to from the east side. Basically if you start hiking from the east you start at 5000+ elevation, if you start at the west side you start at 2000ft elevation.

My lips are sealed when it comes to unit 42!!!

I'd go in either from Barnhardt or Mt. Peeley. Either way you are going to do some serious vertical climbs, so be in good shape. That's some tough country in there so be careful.

Thanks for the help. Nothing like exploring new country. Just didn't want to watse what precious little time I have to get out. Time these days is tied to: remodel, 2 kiddies, and work.

I have a Sweet spot in 42.A little riddle for fun,but don't blurt out the answer.pm me and I will tell you if your right.An antelopes butt and it holds water?Can you figure it out,should be pretty easy.

I have a Sweet spot in 42.A little riddle for fun,but don't blurt out the answer.pm me and I will tell you if your right.An antelopes butt and it holds water?Can you figure it out,should be pretty easy.

PM sent

Just for clarification, if not everyone got my humour, I used "42" the way everyone here does when refering to a certain favorite unit; as a diversionary tactic. Then again I shouldn't give away that this MAY happen here. Therefore all e-scouters never mind this post, I did mean "42" :ph34r:

I now return to the regular program.