Sign in to follow this  
Polaris550

3a 3c Archery Elk Tag...

I screwed up and got drawn for cow elk in 3a 3c instead of bull. Long story... However I was wondering philosophies/strategies for hunting cow instead of a bull. I have shot a bull 6 years back, but how is it different? At all? Was thinking about working them in the morning and then sitting water the rest of the day until the evening. Any advise or stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could try sitting one of the transition lanes between the feeding and bedding areas until around 10AM, and vise versa in the evenings until dark. I killed two Bulls that way. Do plenty of scouting to find the lanes. Good luck!

hunt the burn set on the little knobs around water and glass youll do fine, the bull hunters may get mad but follow the bugels

I shot my first elk with a bow in 3C on a cow hunt. I used to just listen for bugles and then try to circle in front of the herd as they moved to/from water or bedding areas. If you can find them on the move its a lot esier to let them come to you than it is to sneak in.

• Like 1

If it's in the rut it should be fairly easy to just follow the bugles and cut them off. Seems like a lot of the time you chase bulls the stupid cows end up coming within shooting range and bust you before the bull gets there. So I would hunt them just like you are hunting bull. Even if the bull hunters get mad. It's not your fault AZGFD made the hunts at the same time.

I agree with the posts above. Take the hunt on like you are going after a bull. That time of year, you will still get to chase bugles. Instead of a cow busting you just before you get to the bull, you are in position for a clean kill with all the adventure of a bull hunt.

• Like 1

Good advice, you should do fine. The trouble I have had with most cow hunts I've been on is that you will probably tag out within hours of sunrise of opening morning and your hunt will be over. Have fun and enjoy!

I really appreciate the info guys. I am just going to follow the bugles and cut them off. And during the evening sit on a tank of some sort. It's funny you said that the problem with bull hunting is the cows. I shot a bull in 6a about 7 years ago and the biggest problem I had was there was too many elk! Not really makes it close to impossible letting 40-50 cows walk by you undetected and draw back on the bull in back. Now what is nice is I can fling an arrow at first thing I see.

How'd your hunt turn out? I was up there this past weekend. Pretty windy!