Coach

Found a HUGE bear track

Let me first start out by saying I know absolutely nothing about hunting big bears in AZ. I had one close encounter several years back where I talked to a rancher that had a really huge bear killing not only his calves but some of his cows, and when I finally got to see the bear that was doing the damage I passed over it thinking it was a big black cow bedded on the hillside. When I came back to it in the glass I was totally blown away. I dismissed it because I really didn't think we had bears big enough to be what I had just panned over. As I scrambled to the truck to get my gun and rangefinder, the bear ambled into an oak thicket and I never got a shot. We found that sow's paw prints on all the water in the area but never saw her again.

Well, this last weekend I was out looking for some places to set up trail cameras down in the desert with my family and we found a pond with deer and bear tracks all around it. There was a set of bear tracks that literally dwarfed anything I've seen in AZ, and I have seen some really big ones on the San Carlos, and those of that bear that was so big I thought it had to be a cow laying on the hillside.

Without pictures, it's hard to describe, but I wear a size 12 Danner and the back foot of this bear was a couple inches shorter and 2-3 inches wider than my foot. The front paws were easily 5.5 to 6 inches wide.

There was a huge storm coming in as we found this pond, so we kind of hurried out, but I really want to put a camera up. Unfortunately, the tanks is #1 right off a pretty well used road and #2, no good trees at all to put a camera on.

So, for you guys out there that know how to hunt big bears, what would you do? I'm thinking just get on higher ground and sit or do some calling. Not much water in this area, big, huge, extremely thick country so glassing isn't an option. We either have to call him or sit his water hole.

How would you hunt him?

I have no clue either, but I cant wait to see the photo with you and him in it.

Try both if you need to. Call the first time and if that doesn't work then sit the water hole.

I am no expert bear hunter by any means. Just getting into it myself. It sounds like she is using the water regularly though. I would sit the water. Might have to sit it all day, due to the fact that you don't know when she is coming in, but sounds like it is a pretty big bear and will be well worth the wait. I am sure some other more experienced guys will have some opinions as well. Good luck!

What food sources is the bear feeding on? I would set myself up between the water tank and its primary food source and start calling at first light while the bear is likely to be on the move. I would agree that a 6-inch front pad is big bear. An 8-inch pad is a monster, and such bears do exist on our public lands. From your description of this bear's tracks, and the fact that you feel they are larger than those of the "cattle killer", is it possible that your 6-inch estimation is low and that you actually have a bear with 7-8 inch front tracks? If you go back to search for bedding areas or scat to identify its food sources, bring a camera and a ruler. Look for scat in wide spots along trails, in saddles, and in small clearings, especially in areas between food sources and bedding areas. Good luck and keep us posted. A bear that size is worth investigating and keeping in touch with to pin down its whereabouts prior to the opening day of the fall bear season.

I found this one last weekend

NICE!

No fair taking that photo with your six-YEAR-old nephew's hand by the track...wholly paw print Oz!!!

No fair taking that photo with your six-YEAR-old nephew's hand by the track...wholly paw print Oz!!!

lol. It's my hand. Me and this bear have a history. I missed a few shots at Him in April. That tank have 2boar and a sow with cubs hitting it

Found this one next to my game cam but missed him. Close to 6 inches. Next time Ill put something next to it for context.post-13573-0-05601700-1437263211_thumb.jpg

Well, since we are sharing. I ran into this one last Oct and a bunch of fresh scat with no firearms on me. Let's say my head was on a swivel all the way back to the truck.

post-5874-0-92865100-1437266654_thumb.jpg

• Like 1