STOMP442

6.5-06 Ackley improved

Finally got the new 6.5-06AI broke in and a load developed.

Winchester model 70

26" shaw barrel

Lake city match brass sorted by volume and neck turned

59.0 grains H4831

CCI magnum primers

140 berger vld

Velocity = 3180 fps

Here is a three shot group at 200 yards to confirm zero.

65-06Ackley200Meters_zps3bdc790a.jpg

And here is a five shot group at 800 yards on a steel gong. The square in the center is 4"x4". The wind was variable and blowing in from the left at 8-10 mph. I got to say I'm pretty happy with the results.

65-06Ackley800yards_zps27631328.jpg

When running my data through bergers ballistic program I'm reaching a 1000 yards with more than 1000 ft lbs of energy and running about 20" flatter than a 300 Rum running a 210 berger at 3050. Windage numbers are within an inch and I'm only giving up 400 pounds of energy while using 30 grains less powder and producing the recoil of a 270.

• Like 3

Amazing. And this settles it, I'm having my old 30-06 turned into a 6.5-06.

Very nice. I have a question. What is your take on how often to clean a rifle used for long range shooting. I know some who clean every 3rd shot, and recently have read about millitary snipers putting upwards of 1000 rounds through their rifles without cleaning before they start grouping the best.

I clean after every shot for the first 20 then after every 5 for the next 30 during break in. After that I don't clean until accuracy falls off which is a different number depending on caliber, barrel, bullet and powder used. As a rule I try to clean every 150 rounds or so.

• Like 1

That is a great round. I have a .30-06 Winchester Classic waiting for that treatment.

Did you have to true the action and bolt, or was it pretty spot on to start with. Guy here at a very reputable shot told me Winchesters are generally VERY true and usually need only a little work for more complete lug contact.

It was really good to start with. I didn't touch anything but the barrel.

Very cool, was this built on a controlled feed action? If so any feeding issues with the AI cases?

Its a post 64 so not control feed. No feeding issues at all though everything works fine. As far as hot loads go Im just starting to see slightly cratered primers at 59 grains. Easy bolt lift and extraction and primer pockets remain good and tight.

I clean after every shot for the first 20 then after every 5 for the next 30 during break in. After that I don't clean until accuracy falls off which is a different number depending on caliber, barrel, bullet and powder used. As a rule I try to clean every 150 rounds or so.

I do exactly the same now. I will also clean if I am going to work on anew load just for piece of mind.

Great shooting Stomp!

I shoot a 6.5-06 AI as well. Built on a Lawton custom action in a Manners Ultralight carbon stock. Has a Lilja 26" ss barrel in a #5 contour with a 1 in 8 twist. The barrel just didn't like the 140 grainers it was originally set up for. It shoots the 130 gr. Accubond lights out and absolutely loves the new 160 gr. RBBT ULd from Matrix @ 2,950 fps.