Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

The good ol days

I'm running around in circles with anticipation, going crazy thinking about elk hunting in the rut. Anyone care to pass the time sharing a 5a archery experience, or at the very least give a one word description of a past hunt with your bow year included? I will start......This is my first hunt for elk and I have waited patiently for ten years so my only choice would be READY!

I too am runnin around in circles, overly excited to go chase the majestic bull elk in unit 3c this September. This will be my second bull hunt in the 17 years that I've been able to put in.

First bull hunt was in sept. of 2004, unit 4a archery with my awesome grandpa (75 at the time) that put me on a nice 6x7 bull. One shot at 50 yards and he didn't go anymore than 30 after that before he piled up. I guess if I had to describe that hunt with one word it would have to be EPIC!

• Like 2

My second elk hunt was an archery 5A tag. Over the course of 3 days I called in 6 different 6pt bulls.....I missed all 6 of them haha. Last one was at 30yards....string caught my shirt and deflected the arrow. I am a little more proficient now. It was one of my favorite hunts though with my old man. Lots of good memories made that trip.

Did it really take you 10 years to draw a 5A tag?

• Like 2

I along with GMauro spend a lot of time in 5a, I have the archery bull tag this year. All I can say is you should have a lot of fun! I can't wait! Our rains in 5A haven't extended too far north but from hwy 87 MP 310 south to the rim it has turned very green, beautiful up here right now. Waterholes have started to fill so the elk should be happy! I know I am!

• Like 1

10 years for 5A?

No, I was awaiting a unit 9 tag and decided that I would like to hunt more than anticipate, so I put unit 9 muzzy first choice and 5a second choice.

• Like 1

I along with GMauro spend a lot of time in 5a, I have the archery bull tag this year. All I can say is you should have a lot of fun! I can't wait! Our rains in 5A haven't extended too far north but from hwy 87 MP 310 south to the rim it has turned very green, beautiful up here right now. Waterholes have started to fill so the elk should be happy! I know I am!

Checking cameras this weekend, so I will be sure to post a few pics. I have been on a few archery hunts as a caller and cameraman so I know the action can get hot! I have elected to hunt the unit because of the fun in years past spent with huntin buddies chasin bugles!

can't wait for 5b south early archery bull, the rain has been coming down hard and often, another good one today. 2 months sleepless nights are coming. goodluck to all. lots of big bulls in 5a don't lissen to those guys who don't think its a good unit youll stick a dandy

• Like 1

can't wait for 5b south early archery bull, the rain has been coming down hard and often, another good one today. 2 months sleepless nights are coming. goodluck to all. lots of big bulls in 5a don't lissen to those guys who don't think its a good unit youll stick a dandy

I appreciate that! I hope your monster shows his vitals at 20 or less, just for the excitement factor!

my biggest bull is 295 , shot him 12 yrs ago with a sharp stick, all i wantt is 300 or better, not saying a monster would'nt be awesome but i set my goals low and then anything i shot won't be a disappointment. i eat the meat not the horns. Please you trophy hunters don't give me flack, I have trophies a 223" mullie, 2 speed goats over 86" a lion that goes 7 feet and 55lb hog a 10# bass and they taste just as good as the spikes i've shoot. out2hunt thanks for the good word, and good luck to you I do hope he comes in close

• Like 3

my biggest bull is 295 , shot him 12 yrs ago with a sharp stick, all i wantt is 300 or better, not saying a monster would'nt be awesome but i set my goals low and then anything i shot won't be a disappointment. i eat the meat not the horns. Please you trophy hunters don't give me flack, I have trophies a 223" mullie, 2 speed goats over 86" a lion that goes 7 feet and 55lb hog a 10# bass and they taste just as good as the spikes i've shoot. out2hunt thanks for the good word, and good luck to you I do hope he comes in close

Serious trophies! Awesome stuff man

hey bro , 5a just got nailed with another 2 inches+ payson getting hammered right now , gettin out my snorkel, just saw 2 elk float by

• Like 2

hey bro , 5a just got nailed with another 2 inches+ payson getting hammered right now , gettin out my snorkel, just saw 2 elk float by

Ha Ha! Came to Phoenix and missed the rain! The neighbor said it was unreal!