Sign in to follow this  
Coach

23 Youth, where to start

The bad news is, 3 out of 4 of us got skunked on the deer draw this year. The good news is, my oldest son, Matt drew a 23 youth tag. I'm no stranger to 23 and have been hunting it for years - but usually for pigs in the early Spring. Many of the spots I know are really great for deer at certain times of the year, but during the youth hunt, a lot of the bucks are higher than where I normally hunt.

I'm not looking for a monster buck here, but given the potential and Matt's abilities I think we should be able to find either a nice mature coues or mule deer buck. I'd love to PM or email some ideas back and fourth about strategies for this hunt. I recognize most folks won't want to start shouting out unit-specific advice over the WWW and I respect that, so if you want to talk 23, I have as much to give as get. I know the lower parts of the unit very well, but the upper portion, not so well.

I would love to get some advice for hunting this unit for a youth hunt, and will gladly reciprocate with some detailed info of my own, more catered to the later hunts.

Thanks,

Coach

Not specific to coues or muleys . Matt is a good glasser and a good shot. I just want him to have a quality hunt.

Fix your pm. We will help u out. Ill send u my number

The bad news is, 3 out of 4 of us got skunked on the deer draw this year. The good news is, my oldest son, Matt drew a 23 youth tag. I'm no stranger to 23 and have been hunting it for years - but usually for pigs in the early Spring. Many of the spots I know are really great for deer at certain times of the year, but during the youth hunt, a lot of the bucks are higher than where I normally hunt.

I'm not looking for a monster buck here, but given the potential and Matt's abilities I think we should be able to find either a nice mature coues or mule deer buck. I'd love to PM or email some ideas back and fourth about strategies for this hunt. I recognize most folks won't want to start shouting out unit-specific advice over the WWW and I respect that, so if you want to talk 23, I have as much to give as get. I know the lower parts of the unit very well, but the upper portion, not so well.

I would love to get some advice for hunting this unit for a youth hunt, and will gladly reciprocate with some detailed info of my own, more catered to the later hunts.

Thanks,

Coach

I know exactly where you hunt pigs in 23 (because I have seen your pics and your truck out there). That area holds mule deer year round.