cannonball

AZ Coues, Which rifle?

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I got drawn for an Arizona Unit 24A whitetail hunt this year Nov 29-Dec 8 and had a question to throw out to the board.

So I know the "which caliber question is best" or "which one should I buy" has been debated countless times. My spin is that I have the following available for this hunt:

• Winchester M70 Super Grade .270 Win w/ Leupold VXII 3-9x50

• Winchester M70 .Classic Featherweight 30-06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50

• Remington M700 BDL .300 Win mag w/ Leupold VXIII 3-10x50

• Remington M700 SPS Varmint .308 w/ Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44
I understand that any of these will work just fine and that the answer is probably to take all to the range and determine which one I shoot the best. The 308 is on a laminated thumbhole stock and has a heavy barrel (and the glass isn't that great) so I think its out of the running just due to how heavy it is. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks much!

M70 Featherweight in 30-06. That is the lightest rifle and the best optics of what you posted.

• Like 1

I would bring the .270 & 300 win mag just in case something where to happen with the first gun or if the shots end up longer then you first thought. I always take two guns when home is not base camp

• Like 2

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I got drawn for an Arizona Unit 24A whitetail hunt this year Nov 29-Dec 8 and had a question to throw out to the board.

So I know the "which caliber question is best" or "which one should I buy" has been debated countless times. My spin is that I have the following available for this hunt:

1. Winchester M70 Super Grade .270 Win w/ Leupold VXII 3-9x50
  2. Winchester M70 .Classic Featherweight 30-06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-10x50
  3. Remington M700 BDL .300 Win mag w/ Leupold VXIII 3-10x50
  4. Remington M700 SPS Varmint .308 w/ Vortex Viper 4-16x44

I understand that any of these will work just fine and that the answer is probably to take all to the range and determine which one I shoot the best. The 308 is on a laminated thumbhole stock and has a heavy barrel (and the glass isn't that great) so I think its out of the running just due to how heavy it is. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks much!

You answered your own question. Which one do you shoot the best. Weight is always a factor, but I will hump a heavy rifle around if that is the one I have confidence in.

• Like 2

Great comments so far...agree with the consensus of taking whichever one you shoot the most accurately. I shoot a .270 but that's my only choice. Any of your choices would do great, but MIT lean more toward the .270 or .300 as flatter shooting. But again, whatever you can shoot the best groups at 500.

Good luck on your hunt...hopefully you can replace that ugly avatar with a nice picture of a buck! :D Just kidding...nice to see some more SEC blood out west. Hunting here is definitely different than in the south, but I enjoy it a whole lot more.

• Like 2

A little background:

I'm completely new to Coues. I grew up in Florida (thus the Gators avatar) and my family is from southern Alabama. Hunting there was primarily done from treestands or shooting houses over clearcuts or greenfields. The maximum range there was about 200 yards. I moved to AZ in 1998 and stayed here until 2008, was transferred to CA for a couple years, and have been back since 2010.

I've been on a couple archery hunts for Coues with my boss who grew up in Globe AZ. He has a tag in the same unit with me and another guy in our department. Should be a fun hunt.

My parents just moved out here and my dads health is not so great, so he gave me his guns to use and keep at my house. The 270 and 300 are his. The 06 is my first high-power rifle that I got when I was 17 (I'm 37). The 308 was a toy I got when I moved back to AZ after CA.

Thanks for the replies. I know that I need to hit the range and get back into practice and see which one shoots the best for me.

You better check the AZGFD regs. Correct me if I am wrong but gator fans are not allowed to hunt coues deer, just carp

• Like 6

cannon- you can hunt bear and scout. those first three are some very nice basic rifles. love to see apic of the supergrade. if you go out before your season and see some you will see what kind of shots you will get . coues are a dinky target. my shots are alway futher than i would really like. i shoot 6.5-20 and one has an 8.5-25 . my preference.

Coues are small and shots tend to be at distance. Pick the one you hit small targets with the best. 22-250 to 50 bmg will get the job done. Don't worry about the caliber. Worry about shot placement. Since you'll most likely do more glassing than walking, weight is of minimal concern. Accuracy is your best friend on a coues hunt.