Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Sweet Mesquite Coues Jerky Time!

Made up a 6 pound batch of my sweet mesquite coues jerky and dehydrated it last night. The house smells amazing and our poor dog is going crazy! Thanks for the meat huntjunkie. I'll bring the first batch over later today. post-6408-0-52101600-1374514744_thumb.jpg

If you need someone to taste test it first....to make sure its not poisoned or anything just let me know.

Sweet!! Can't wait to taste it. For those of you who don't know, rossislider is a meat genius! The man can cook!!! Best Jerky around!

I guess I should give palivs2hnt some since he packed half of it out for me. 😂 best pack mule around, I mean friend..

LOL, you supply the meat and I'll make the jerky. After two years of not drawing any tags I'll do just about anything for some game meat. My freezer is running dangerously low!

/>

LOL, you supply the meat and I'll make the jerky. After two years of not drawing any tags I'll do just about anything for some game meat. My freezer is running dangerously low!

Low because of the lack of tags or your wife defrosting the freezer(s)? Lol!!! JK

• Like 1

Where's the recipe? ;-)

+1 on the recipie. Looks it was squirted out of a jerky gun.

Sweet Mesquite Jerky

You are correct that I used a jerky gun. It makes the whole process much easier. This particular recipe is by far the easiest one I have come up with because it makes use of a good store bought rub. It will also cover up a lot of the gamey flavor if you have people who don’t appreciate high quality game meat. My other popular jerky is one I make with fresh fire roaster Hatch green chilies, when in season.

Sweet Mesquite Jerky

Thoroughly combine these ingredients together in the following proportions:

• 1 pound of ground meat
  • 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Mesquite Seasoning
  • 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

I have found that the Sweet Mesquite Seasoning can vary in the level of spice. I love spicy food but my wife and kids don’t so I suggest doing the following. The proportions listed above will usually make a mild jerky. But I don’t like to make a big batch without testing the spice level first, so once everything is combined I will make a thin quarter size patty and fry it in a pan, then taste. From there you can add more or less seasoning, brown sugar, etc. to suite your taste. Continue testing before throwing it all into the dehydrator. Use a jerky gun to squirt it onto dehydrator trays. I then put it into my Nesco dehydrator at 160 degrees for about five hours. I make one big spiral on each tray then cut it into 4-6 inch pieces.

Since there are no preservatives in this, be sure to eat it right away, refrigerate, or freeze it.

post-6408-0-80587500-1374536667.jpg

Every time I make jerky, I have this fear of it going bad too fast. How long is it good for if it is refridgerated? I usually only give it 2-3 days, then I get paranoid and start eating it in big bunches to get rid of it.