Sign in to follow this  
srearnhe

advice on 24B

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but have read and learned a lot from everyone. I've been hunting my whole life with my dad and brothers, and decided to involve my wife in this passion. Last year was her first deer hunt where she took a beautiful mule deer out of 22. It was 183" so not bad for her first deer hunt, actually makes me sick because I've never taken anything that big yet. Well her luck continues, she drew 24B December Whitetail.

So I'm a little familiar with the unit. I've done some hunting there, but I've focused more in 22 and primarily hunted mule deer in 24B. Would love to have any advice someone can give us for a great whitetail in the late season of this unit. I know I'll be competing with my archery friends but would love to give her an opportunity to take a nice buck for another trophy on our wall.

I drew the later (November) whitetail tag, so I plan on doing a lot of scouting this year for the unit and would love to explore the area.

Any help would be much appreciated.

AZ game and fish has great information. Scout the high superstition wilderness area. If she is willing to hike in and camp on foot you can bag a monster. The farther away you go from everyone the bigger they get...its just a long way in and a long way out on foot but with some good snow fall they will hang in the lower areas.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Readytohunts advice is right on the money. Just get up and away from everyone and glass, that is a great tag! I second the request to post a pic of that mulie along with the story!

The 183 Muley out of 22 is the real Miracle!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the Awesome tag!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but have read and learned a lot from everyone. I've been hunting my whole life with my dad and brothers, and decided to involve my wife in this passion. Last year was her first deer hunt where she took a beautiful mule deer out of 22. It was 183" so not bad for her first deer hunt, actually makes me sick because I've never taken anything that big yet. Well her luck continues, she drew 24B December Whitetail.

So I'm a little familiar with the unit. I've done some hunting there, but I've focused more in 22 and primarily hunted mule deer in 24B. Would love to have any advice someone can give us for a great whitetail in the late season of this unit. I know I'll be competing with my archery friends but would love to give her an opportunity to take a nice buck for another trophy on our wall.

I drew the later (November) whitetail tag, so I plan on doing a lot of scouting this year for the unit and would love to explore the area.

Any help would be much appreciated.

superstition search and rescue. has some maps you can check out.

http://www.superstition-sar.org/maps.htm

James

• Like 1

Okay, she actually made Muley Crazy magazine with the hunt, so here's the article with the story.

I'm hoping I can do something similar for her on this whitetail hunt. Hopefully it comes up alright. It was a great hunt, I also had my 8 year old daughter with me. Big bonus!

post-11123-0-75597200-1374523618_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

heard stories of that buck.. I think from my brother in law... jeff cross' pops put a mean stalk on that deer and something screwed it up.. don't remember what. maybe he'll read this and chime in.

great buck either way!

congrats to your wife on a trophy mule deer!

James

We've heard that this deer was "famous" in the area. We killed this deer and mine on opening day. We were far back, in an area closed to vehicle traffic, so we decided to hang the deer for the night and hike back out. Our plan was to hike back in the next morning and pack everything out. On our way in a game warden stopped by our camp and saw the deer heads (we had to pack those out). The game warden talked with my mom who was still in camp after we were already hiking in to recovery the deer. My mom was able to phone my dad and he talked to the game warden who drove all the way in to help us recovery the deer. That saved us a full day of packing out two deer. We were so thankful for the help! The game warden told us there were a few different groups in the general area looking for these deer, so we felt privileged to have the opportunity.

Again, my wife has no idea how lucky she was on this hunt. She takes a great buck as her first deer, she doesn't have to pack it out, and now she has a December whitetail hunt....I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I'm going to do some looking around as recommended by ready2hunt and see what I can come up with.

I have hunted this unit regularly since the early 2000's. Here is all you need to know. The south side of the unit gets pounded by archery hunters and in some areas atv's etc. If you just drive around to the north side of the unit and access off of the apache trail, there are a fraction of the number of hunters and a lot more deer. The south side holds plenty of deer but once the lead and arrows start flying it can be tough to keep track of the bucks. Especially with the limited number of access points to the rugged country, its definitely worth driving around the other side. Good luck and post up some pics when she puts the hurt on a giant!

Flatlander,

Thanks for the advice, I actually live near the superstition mtns and plan on heading up around the north end since it's easier from home.

Can't wait to post a few pics!

Did GM Dickson help you and your wife get the deer out? If so he showed me a pic of your deer and your wifes side by side with, I believe your daughter sitting between both. If this is the same then your deer was real nice to. We were back that way and he told me the story and showed me the pics.