hunter1026

Leupold vs vortex

I have owned both and I must admit they are very similar. The biggest difference for me was the poor quality once you zoomed all the way in with the vortex scope. Very hard to see through and slightly blurry. The leupold is crystal clear no matter what the zoom is set at. It was a big enough difference that I sold my Vortex Viper HS to buy a new VX-3 and I am very glad I did. No regrets on making the switch.

• Like 2

How many vortex scopes are on the benchrest and f-class line? Vortex is not as clear at high power, has a shorter eye relief and not as precise on adjustment. Easy choice for me. Binos are alot different than scopes.

I agree AZKiller. I noticed on vortex's rifle scopes that they're cutting some corners, especially on the eye relief. I've witnessed a few guys getting scoped because of it. I'm a leupy fan.

How many vortex scopes are on the benchrest and f-class line? Vortex is not as clear at high power, has a shorter eye relief and not as precise on adjustment. Easy choice for me. Binos are alot different than scopes.

I agree that Vortex is not on the F-Class line, but neither is Swarovski! Nightforce and Sightron own that market. When you look at the Spotting scopes on the line you will see %95 of the people are using Kiowa and not Swarovski. It's a totaly different world.

Yes Vortex glass is not as clear as some other brands, but for the price and customer service they are well above the rest in my opinion.

Adam

• Like 1

Yes I really do think leupold has a better scope, just my opinion.

I recently bought a Vortex Viper while sighting it in at the range the windage turret came loose . I began to inspect the scope closely with a flashlight i noticed grinder marks inside the scope tube . They attempted to cover the marks with a magic marker (not sure that is what they used but that is what it looked like) . I also noticed a small grainy substance in side the scope . I called vortex and they told me that they would replace it no problem . After wasting $140.00 worth of ammo, sighting in, I was kinda hoping that they would do something more than just replace the scope . I took the scope back to the shop where I bought it and told them what happened they suggested that i try another vortex. After looking at the Vortex scopes they had in stock closely with a flashlight ,I found that they all had what looked like dust particles inside them. I don't know if the scopes functionality would be compromised by these particles but the fact that they were there kinda makes me nervous . I looked closely at the Leupold scopes with a flashlight and they all seemed perfect inside and out. Leupold was a little bit more expensive but i think their quality control is way above Vortex.

Sorry, I have never purchased a Vortex scope so I cannot comment on their quality. I do know that early in my hunting life I purchased two different brands of cheaper scopes. One (~1971 Weaver) fogged early on the first morning of my first deer season while I was trying to shoot my deer. Couldn't shoot because I couldn't see the deer. The next one (~1980 Redfield) had something come loose inside the turret and it caused a 9 inch low shot at the biggest deer I have ever seen in the Kaibab. These incidents caused me to buy my first Leupold. I have owned and shot about 10 different Leupolds since then with excellent results. In the late 80's, I fell on a rainy morning climbing a high ridgeline and put a huge dent in the primary end on a vari-x III (glass didn't break so I continued). In about 30 minutes I connected on a +300yd shot on a nice Coues deer. Leupold fixed it for less than $50 as it was my fault not theirs. I still own and shoot with that scope. Bottom line is: buy as much scope as you can afford. I would tell people to buy a slightly cheaper rifle over a cheaper scope. Your future hunts depend on good optics. A foggy or poor quality scope cannot make a shot even with a great rifle underneath it. There is NO substitute for great quality glass. Hope this helps.......

I agree that Vortex is not on the F-Class line, but neither is Swarovski! Nightforce and Sightron own that market. When you look at the Spotting scopes on the line you will see %95 of the people are using Kiowa and not Swarovski. It's a totaly different world

Yes Vortex glass is not as clear as some other brands, but for the price and customer service they are well above the rest in my opinion.

Adam

ok, They have it for their adjustment and reliability. Swaro scopes are overpriced, period. You cant beat a nightforce, but this was leopuld or vortex. There are more leupold on any competition firing line than any other scope.

Kind of off topic but does anyone notice leupold glass in their range finders being really dark in low light conditions. I had the rx something or other and just bought the vortex and it's night and day literally. I know the leupold I had wasn't their high end stuff but for the same price it isn't even close.

• Like 1