Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Catfish TIme!

Cooked them up tonight and had my parents and Carrie's mom over for a nice fish fry with some sausage and cheese stuffed mushrooms.

Even though they were skinned at the river I cut off the skin membrane and chunked up the meat pretty small then soaked the chunks in buttermilk. After a couple hours in the buttermilk they went to buttermilk/egg wash and then dredged in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, Zatarain's Creole seasoning, Cavendar's, Some Old Bay crab boil, lemon pepper, garlic powder and fresh cracked black pepper and a little bit of crushed red pepper. Then into the 350 degree oil.

They came out super good. Crunchy, a little spicy, not too salty, no fishy flavor or mushiness - it was a very good batch of catfish.

Nice batch of Flats! I'm thinking of heading out with my kids in the next couple of weeks. Is that the Verde?

Nice batch of Flats! I'm thinking of heading out with my kids in the next couple of weeks. Is that the Verde?

Not the Verde, this was upper Salt.

Cooked them up tonight and had my parents and Carrie's mom over for a nice fish fry with some sausage and cheese stuffed mushrooms.

Even though they were skinned at the river I cut off the skin membrane and chunked up the meat pretty small then soaked the chunks in buttermilk. After a couple hours in the buttermilk they went to buttermilk/egg wash and then dredged in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, Zatarain's Creole seasoning, Cavendar's, Some Old Bay crab boil, lemon pepper, garlic powder and fresh cracked black pepper and a little bit of crushed red pepper. Then into the 350 degree oil.

They came out super good. Crunchy, a little spicy, not too salty, no fishy flavor or mushiness - it was a very good batch of catfish.

That sounds like an interesting recipe. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Years ago I spent a week in Jamaica. I liked the Jerked chicken and pork they make down there. I bought a jar of jerk seasoning to bring back with me, and decided to try it on some fish. I rubbed down the fillet and grilled it. I took one bite, and I thought my face was going to explode, it was off the charts hot. I couldn't eat it. A little rub goes a long way, and I used way too much.