Sign in to follow this  
waterbuck97

Horses in Unit 36B

We drew tags in for the October whitetail hunt in 36B. For the last few years we have been hunting in Unit 32 and taking our horses along. My question is how beneficial would horses be on this hunt? I know there are some areas where horses are almost more of a burden than a help. Also wondering if there are any good places to camp with horses, maybe some old corrals with water nearby etc..? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Horses would get you farther back in than most people care to hike. Years ago friends of mine rode in on the now closed zig zag road and overnighted it the day before the hunt. If im remembering right that buck was a nice 100"+ 4 point. There used to be corrals in sycamore canyon, not sure now.

Everyone I have ever seen bring horses into the mountain areas, never seemed to return after a go at it. Although that goes for some places and not for others. Mule deer hunters hunt the lower areas and seem to cover some good ground.

Ive seen hunters trailer their horses in a bit then tether them in the rest of the way but I rarely see them in the rough stuff. Once I saw hunters riding mules way back in but again I never saw them again.

I let my eyes do the walking and with the right pack plus gutless method, it is not hard to get a deer out

You'd do best to take a dry run between now and your hunt. Make sure you get to know the area real good and know where the fences lines and trails are....or you wind up getting frustrated and cutting fences. I don't hunt from horses, not my style; but that's what I've heard.

i rifle hunt 36a/b every year and every year when im climbing those mountains i always say i wish i had a horse.

the old timers i hunt with used to use them (still have them) and i hear a lot of stories from falling on cholla to broken bones and even run away horses haha. but when i ask them about the ground they cover and they all agree there is nothing better.

I'm with you. I'm not sure yet if we will use horses on my 6a WT hunt or not, but my husband wants to use them for his 6A late bull archery hunt. He used our horses for his buddys late 6A hunt last year and was glad he did. It really depends on the area whether or not they are beneficial or not. Like the upcoming archery hunt I would not typically take the horses because they are more work than benefit.

I would definitely do some scouting with the horses and see if it works.

We have portable corral fencing that we take for camp and it works great. This allows us to camp wherever we want.

Corals And Water At The Summit Motorway Entrance.

Thanks for the info, this will be a good place to start. Any idea who these corrals belong to and if we are able to use them? Thanks again.