Sign in to follow this  
WVBowhunter68

Non-Resident Coues Hunt - Late Dec

You guys have a great forum and it is good to see so many folks passionate about hunting. This may be on the of the best hunting forums focused on a single species I have seen.

I am new to the site, but plan to hunt Coues this winter and plan to backpack in and stay for 4-5 days in late December. I have two other buddies going with me, so in reading (almost all of this forum) we are trying to decide where to go.

We are thinking 35A or 35B, but also entertained 30B and 33. Really we are wide open without much expectation other than good friends, good hunting and a memorable trip.

We are looking for a wilderness style area where we can hike in and stay with the deer or at least in their area for the week. Any thoughts or information would be great on a good area to start since we will most likely be coming in blind. Not really looking for a big buck, just want to enjoy a good hard hunt for a week where we can get our heart rate up and watch some Coues run around and maybe pull a stalk - and if the Lord is willing - loose an arrow or two.

thanks

Kevin

If you want to backpack it maybe better to stick to a Northern unit with fewer border issues. I would suggest 21, 24a or 24b you may also consider 29. Good luck. Look for wilderness areas and have at it.

+1 on what Flatlander said...Lots of "mules"(drug runners)...bringing merchandise through those units that time of year...do all that work back packing in and you may not be as alone as you would like...6 21 22 23 24 27 would all be much safer choices with just as much opportunity...if you are looking for a wilderness hunt 22 or 27 both have plenty...also the further north you get you may see more rutting activity that time of year...good luck

Not very many wilderness areas in 35a and b, sure there's some but it's unglassable or too high in elevation for high deer density, the best unit I think you listed is 33, higher density and more places to get away from the crowd, if you can travel farther then I suggest what the others said

Superstition Wilderness in 24b or Hellsgate in 23.... They have air vac that services both areas ....If they can find ya! You should hire an outfitter for these areas at least to mule pack your gear in and out!!!

The problem with 22, 23, and 27 is that there are no December archery hunts in those areas. I have never hunted 33 but would have to believe that is a viable option, and after thinking more I would also suggest 31 and 32. If you are doing 31 get a ride to the top of Mt Graham and drop off one of the trails that heads to the bottom. In unit 32 hike into the Galiuro wilderness, just be sure of access due to landowner issues down there. The superstition wilderness in 24b would provide a plethora of choices, sure access and plenty of deer, its rugged and given my druthers I think I would do the Galiuro's but it certainly holds options. I don't know 24A too well but there has got to be some places to get it done there as well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will review those options. I would prefer to stay out of the "mule" areas. So, I will take a look further north. Galiuro sounds like that might be a good start. I appreciate your information and will check out your recommendations...

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks, I will review those options. I would prefer to stay out of the "mule" areas. So, I will take a look further north. Galiuro sounds like that might be a good start. I appreciate your information and will check out your recommendations... Thanks Kevin

There are Mule Deer just about every where there are Coues.....!

Thanks, I will review those options. I would prefer to stay out of the "mule" areas. So, I will take a look further north. Galiuro sounds like that might be a good start. I appreciate your information and will check out your recommendations... Thanks Kevin

There are Mule Deer just about every where there are Coues.....!

I think he was referring to the drug mules Captain Obvious spoke of.

• Like 1

All, I'm new to the forum joining as a result of WVBowhunter68 recommendation. I'm one of the two buddies he's referring to and just moved to Tucson in mid June.

Our goal is to increase odds of taking a decent buck (Mulie or Couse).

Appreciate the initial insights and welcome any other recommendations you have for some die hard archers who don't mind putting in the work and mileage to get the job done.

Take care and happy hunting to you all.

I really like the looks of 24b in the superstition wilderness.....google earth map recons show quite a bit of terrain that should hold both Coues and Mulies. What have the winters been like lately in that area?

Make sure the units you are looking at are open to archery in dec. for some units are close now unlike years before.. Good luck on your hunt....