Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

whats the best flashlight to carry in your pack

The light I use at work is a stream light stinger, it came with a car charger as well as a 110 charger. It's led and was around $100 when I bought it. It's bright enough for what I do. I take it and an extra battery on every outing.

+1

Here is a completely different opinion;

I believe in quality gear. Leica binoculars, Leupold or better scopes, ect.

But I look at flashlights as almost disposable.

I carry one decent ($15-$20) flashlight (techlite 200 lume) , and several cheepos.

I keep a stock of Walmart specials, usually $1 or $2 each, I never go hunting/camping without at least 4 or 5 of them. I keep two in my truck, and one in every pack or tackle box, plus a headlamp. In the field, I always have at least two

I also have a bad habit of loosing flashlights. .

If I lose a $2 flashlight, who cares, I just grab another one. I also tend to loan them out or give them away.

(Friend) Can I borrow your flashlight ? (Me) Here, keep it.

If one of them is not reliable, I throw it in the garbage can and grab another.

The very, very best flashlight is the one you have on you when you need it.

• Like 1

This is a good question and one I hadn't properly considered prior to hunting alone on a water hole a few years ago. I decided that morning when it was pitch black and I was carrying a cheap light that I would quickly invest in a better one. There were eyes watching me, but my cheap flash light (or my head lamp) wouldn't light up what it was. All I could see was the eyes that kept watching me. I fixed that problem and bought the light below. I use the heck out of it and never hunt without it.

LED Lenser T7

http://www.opticsplanet.com/led-lenser-t7-led-flashlight.html?gclid=CKTD_uOQ7LgCFS3hQgod6RoAog&ef_id=UffyyAAABD13CpkW:20130807200428:s

I stay with AA and AAA. In my hunting pack. I use rechargable batteries that I can charge in my Goal Zero pack. I have a led headlamp, a led light on my key chain, and a 2 cell led flashlight made by surfire and my goal zero battery pack has a led light on it. I survive on the rule of threes. So I have three ways to start fire, three ways of making light. And most time three ways to filter water.

I stay with AA and AAA. In my hunting pack. I use rechargable batteries that I can charge in my Goal Zero pack. I have a led headlamp, a led light on my key chain, and a 2 cell led flashlight made by surfire and my goal zero battery pack has a led light on it. I survive on the rule of threes. So I have three ways to start fire, three ways of making light. And most time three ways to filter water.

• Like 1

I prefer a head lamp over a flashlight. I carry two in the pack, Petzl Tikka XP 2 LED headlamp and another less expensive as a back up. The XP is about $50.00, red and/or white light with 80 lumens on the high setting. I've hunted for a week without having to change batteries. Keep in mind thats using it to get to my spot before the sun comes up, maybe an hour or so in the morning and half an hour at night?

Your hands are free so going over barbed wire is much easier, if you kill late, you have light for field dressing and your not trying to prop that flashlight up.

I never went back after using the headlamp, even around camp it's much easier. I had a short in some wiring on the ATV and lost my headlights. I was able to use the light from the headlamp to get back to camp.

Fenix, Eagle Tac or Klarus . I have all 3 and the Klarus xt11 in cr123 and double A are my favorites. I pack the AA for hunting so that fenix headlamp and gps all use the same battery source. The lights have H M L settings.

I like lights because I'm afraid of the dark, or I am a flashaholic.

I'm not a fan of buying those expensive CR123's after it accidentally turns on in my pack. I carry three or four lights- two of them being small Princeton Tec models that take AA's. The other one is an Energizer headlamp that I found in my duckblind in Texas hanging from my gun hook- somebody (lazy S.O.B. that was using my blind) left it on overnight and the sucker was still lit up when I got back to my blind. It has two white LED's, a bigger bulb and a red LED. I love that thing and I take it on every trip!

X2 on the Energizer headlamp. A friend had one for night ops on a fire a couple of years ago and I got one soon after. Best $12-$15 I spent at Walmart! I keep plenty of extra AAA batteries for it, but it is great! I also carry a Surefire and love it. To keep the batteries lasting longer (because CR123s are EXPENSIVE), I turn one backwards until I need the light. I carry another flashlight that I was given at a RMEF banquet a few years ago and it works surprisingly well for being a give-away.

I'm going to have to check out the Fenix lights, though. Too many mentions here to not check them out!

Another vote for Fenix lights. I have a TK-21 that does double duty as a weapon mounted light for my AR's and as a general flashlight. The TK-21 has adjustable intensity levels which adds to its versitility; low setting for general use, full power for 100yd night shots. The TK-21 is realativly cheap when compared to lights of comprable performance and quality. Battery life is better than I expected when using quality cr123 batteries.