ElkDeer

Remove Freezer Odor

hello everyone!

I have a freezer that was somehow turned off on me and i lost all the meat i had in it. I have cleaned it out several times and it still smells. does anyone have any ideas on how to get the odor out?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Elkdeer

I had that happen once. I never got the smell completely out but with a lot of baking soda and several scrub downs it got to the point where it would not stink when it was frozen.. It was much better once it was froze back up.

Guest akaspecials

Make a baking soda paste with water and leave it on for a week or so.

Put a can of cofffe grounds it shut lid for a few days the grounds suck up the smell

• Like 1

All of the above and also try charcoal briquets. My daughter just did this and she has a pan of vinegar in both the fridge and freezer now. The vinegar masks the odor well so I'm not sure if it still stinks or not.

If its already thawed out hose it out and bleach it then hose again. Then go to the baking powder/ coffee steps. It will definitely make it useable again!

Bleach is a good first choice. If its a cheaper half chest, sell it and buy another one. My half chest was 300ish and works good, my buddy bought an upright commercial freezer used for $75 bucks. If you can't live with the smell, pick up another.

There is a lot of stuff online about this. You probably won't get it out completely. Unfortunately, I've dealt with this several times on rental property fridges, and I've thrown a couple away. Then I had my own personal upright freezer on a GFI that clicked off (for 3 weeks), full of meat, located outside.

I took the freezer apart completely, including removing all interior panels and even replaced insulation. After bleaching everything thoroughly, I wiped down inside and outside of each disassembled panel with a thick paste of baking soda/water, and let it all sit out in the Tucson sun for a week. After rinsing thoroughly, I reassembled with new insulation, and let it sit for a day...After all that work, it still stunk!! Interestingly, when I turned it on and it got down to 5 degrees or so, the smell was not noticeable. I still use it today, and I cannot smell it at all when cold, but when I clean it out every year or two, I shut it off for a day and I can still smell it, very slightly.

Bottom line for me: I don't make my ice cubes in it. I double wrap everything or vacuum seal it anyway, so there isn't any interaction between the ambient air in the freezer and the frozen meat. I'm OK with that.

This whole process was pretty time consuming, but the freezer was only a couple years old. Up to you how much time you want to devote to it.

I wonder how good a coat of paint primer would work?! I've lost a freezer or 2 over the years because if this. But was just thinking about how we used to deal with pet smells( urine) when I had my flooring business years back.

Last weekend we used bleach then left baking soda and charcoal in it. Seems to have worked well.

Lesson Learned: leave the fredge on "auto" and not on gas. Power outages do not allow the gas to reset.

power outage will not allow a gfi socket or a surge protector to reset either

the majority of spoiled meat is related to an outage - it trips the gfi socket and the meat spoils cuz nobody knew about it or thought about it .

the majority of newer homes are required to use gfi sockets -

we've had power shut off and then reroute and come back on -- everything appears normal but the ole gfi will screw you everytime!!

We had a problem with our GFI shutting off periodically, fortunately the freezer sits right in front of our car and the first sign of moisture on the ground and we reset the GFI. Never had any meat actually though out thank goodness.

I was going to look into a battery powered alarm that would let you know if temps drop, pretty sure they make one or something to that effect.

I couldn't imagine losing a full freezer full after a successful hunting season.

Good luck getting the smell out, seems like few good ideas on this post.