PelaPapas

What Caliber to get??? - Need Suggestions

The 25/06 is way underrated Imo it can take elk with good shot placement

So can a 223 but I wouldn't bet a hunt on it.

I have a 25-06, i didn't have much of a budget to go off of when I purchased it so i went with the Savage Axis. I have killed everything from foxes to deer and even bear. they did the job with no problem.

I had the same choice as you a few years ago. My dad gave me his 7 mm Mauser (been in the family awhile), but I was allowed to make it my own as my Christmas present. I kept what I could, including the stock, but I was torn between making it a 270 or a 25-06. I went with the 270, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. My primary objective for my gun was pig and deer. It was a 250 yard heart shot on this big girl. It's a good gun and I'll have it with me on my November WT hunt along with my bow. Means even more to me now that my dad is gone.

Christinaphoto_zps706bb539.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all who have left their input. I really appreciate it! I think I've narrowed it down to the .270 and 25-06. Hopefully I can make up my mind on what I want.

my first caliber would be a 30.06

if this was only a deer/pig rifle then i would go with 7mm-08 or .243

out of your choices i would go with a .270

If I was in your shoes. .25-06 for a anything under 400 lbs or go with a .270 WSM if you intend on shooting the occasional Elk without being overkill on the smaller critters. Tikka or Remington 700 Sendero depending on where your budget is. I like the .270 WSM over the standard because you get the rigidity of a short action, a few more FPS and the powder burns more efficient being stacked short and fat vs. long and skinny.

That's my .02.

Good luck. These are the fun decisions in life.

Go big or go home. 300wsm 168 gn. It'll kill anything and not tear it up too much.