Sign in to follow this  
AZHNTR67

UNIT 7W Archery Bull Elk

zukicrazy,

Your bull is awesome,but being on 3,390 bulls why did you decide to take this bull,

most people have never seen a 390 bull and you were on 3, tell us more about your hunt.

did you call this bull in, spot and stalk, or shoot him on Water.

Seldom Drawn

I got drawn there several year back as was taught a lot of the area from a guide who has hunted there since he was a kid so we put are work in ever weekend for months but a couple areas we had plan to hunt were several people in them I don't sit water there anymore I don't like fighting over the tanks 3 years ago a big guide service would pass by the tank about 4 times a evening because there was a huge bull in the area my boss hit the bull and those guides were pissed it was a real big mess , I like to call them in but the bigger bull I killed was coming off the mountain in the evenings to feed and there were several bulls so I cut them off and they fed right to me and this is only my 3 rd archery bull so he got into bow range so I decided to shoot him ,next time I get drawn I will hold out for a bigger one but since that was the biggest elk I have killed made me happy also I was trying to help the owner with his tag he wanted a big bull but the bull s we found the weekends before are smart and we couldn't locate them again the last 2 hunts I have been on I was after a bull 8x9 I have missed in twice 2 different years he doesn't score very good but he is a great looking bull ,My boss ended up shooting the little guy because the hunt was dragging out to long and we had to get back to work .My bull was 380 but after deductions he scored 360

Wasn't the pic of that bull in the bottom left corner in a post here on coues a few months back? I could have sworn someone in the post said they found the bull after all the hunts were done. Thus the reason for the extreme leg kick bloat. Just curious.

/>

Wasn't the pic of that bull in the bottom left corner in a post here on coues a few months back? I could have sworn someone in the post said they found the bull after all the hunts were done. Thus the reason for the extreme leg kick bloat. Just curious.

I remember that to.

I drew that tag a few years ago. I was into quality bulls every day including some outstanding 6x6's and one beautiful 7x6. My problem was that I was competing with a group of four hunters from Texas that all had guides. On my third day, they found the bulls I was hunting. Several times I was able to get out in front waiting to ambush only to have these guy's blowing cow calls like crazy and really pushing the elk at a pace I couldn't shoot at. So, the area I hunted was in the east part of the unit, look for Red Mountain on a map. The elk were bedding west of Red Mountain, then feeding south of that area into a large meadow that borders FR 144. FR 715 will get you north of the bedding area so you could set up to ambush them as they are returning back from their feeding. That year there was not a lot of rain so the elk in this area were using Lost Tank to water.

Yes the bull on the bottom right was hit by someone on the first day while looking for my bull the 3 rd day someone pointed me to this bull it wasn't mine so we just took pictures and then found mine about 700 yards away from this one , nobody claimed the bull but we were on the cow hunt someone moved it about 100 yards away from the body im guessing to go back later but I posted all over monster muleys last year to find the shooter it had same color knock as mine same feathers but it was a Easton arrow someone shot him in the guts way far back.realy sucks it was a nice bull . Another guy hit a herd bull in the throat head on but he never found it same area . We tried that area red mountain last year was areal big herd bull a friend from a guide severce told us about but same problem he must have told everbody with a tag lol

I have heard of guides putting up signs and stuff trying to keep people out. I mean come on, they need to follow rules as well. If I'm hunting where a guide is I know I'm in the right spot. The story about one driving by the water hole 4 times would certainly piss me off. I'm thinking road spikes??? May have to bring some along this year......

• Like 1

I found 6" lag bolts point side up in a 2 track to a guzzler on the strip last year. Thought it was a fluke until I found a bunch in a row over a couple days. Pretty messed up considering how far back in there I was by myself.

look whats happening in unit 10, not sure if that could ever apply legally to state land. I predict a lot of people will be looking at that model very closely to possibly apply statewide.when limited resources are competed for not just by your everyday hunter but by businesses looking to grow there are going to be issues.The game in our state is going to change,probably sooner than we all think.