John O

Who's Not Afraid to Hunt Down South?

I have come to really enjoy the Aug/Sept archery hunt down south each year. Lot's of coues and muley transition areas, very little pressure, and no problem finding decent bucks. I realize there is a heightened sense of awareness required to be down there, but I would contend that the most dangerous part of the hunt is the highway drive there and back. Happy hunting to those going out, and good luck!!

• Like 1

I have to agree with you, but do we really want to let that cat out of the bag?

• Like 1

Lol the cats out!! I've never had a tag south of I-10 until this year but have spent alot of time south. Never had an issue (knock on wood) however we did find some pot plants growing wild while out scouting today.

Born and raised in nogales hunted the south units for the past 6 years and thank God never have had a problem. Twice have bumped into people crossing the border illegally gave them some of my water and offered them a burrito and they kept walking there way and I kept hunting.

what it must feel like to be scared to hunt in your own state? wimps. and ask every person that you know that wont hunt down there, most have never even been there before. so how the heck can they even know what its like? i cant wait to get back down there, beautiful country. like i said in another thread, im far more comfortable in 36b than in the checkerboard of tweaker pads in 3b north. im pissed that i didnt get the 36b leftover tag this year, i got 36a. hoping theres illegal activity there too, its fun to glass them up.

• Like 5

I hunted down there once a couple Januaries ago & had 3 of them pass by me at about 25 yards. They kept moving & that was the end of it, but still made me feel on edge. Migrant workers are one thing, but I wouldn't want to bump into a coyote moving cargo through the mountains.

I have always hunted down here, and yes I have run into them in the past. I KNOW how to handle myself and am not afraid to hunt where and when I want. PERIOD!

I have seen nearly every kind of illegal there is from the families that I rout for to make it, to the drug runners with the heavy back packs, to the militia style, to the guys walking back south after a drop off, to three dozen plus people walking straight at me. (see some of my previous post). I would not hesitate to spend a week down there by myself in some of the most used areas if the hunting was good.

I do a fair amount of hunting down south, I've had two issues nothing bad enough to scare me away but bad enough that you wouldn't catch me down there without at least a handgun. Most of the people you run into are non-issues but when that one guy decides he needs your truck more than you do having that 10MM sure is nice! I wouldn't camp alone down there anymore like I used to but I have no problem hunting down there.

I have hunted December/January archery down in 36b & 36c off and on for the last 8 years. I have run into many illegals but havent had any serious issues with them . I'm burned out on that area , not from fear , but due to all the activity caused by the illegals and drug runners.With border patrol chasing them on foot, horseback, on quads and with choppers buzzing the tanks it can be a little disruptive to a hunt. Kudos to BP, as I know their efforts are necessary, but I have decided to move on to different units to chase deer in Az . When I hunt , I am looking for a peaceful experience, with less acivity busting up my hunts. I love the country down in the 36's less all the trash in the washes and there's plenty of deer to chase around . Best of luck to everyone hunting down there. Hope you get one of those 100 inches that I've seen down there.

I have hunted December/January archery down in 36b & 36c off and on for the last 8 years. I have run into many illegals but havent had any serious issues with them . I'm burned out on that area , not from fear , but due to all the activity caused by the illegals and drug runners.With border patrol chasing them on foot, horseback, on quads and with choppers buzzing the tanks it can be a little disruptive to a hunt. Kudos to BP, as I know their efforts are necessary, but I have decided to move on to different units to chase deer in Az . When I hunt , I am looking for a peaceful experience, with less acivity busting up my hunts. I love the country down in the 36's less all the trash in the washes and there's plenty of deer to chase around . Best of luck to everyone hunting down there. Hope you get one of those 100 inches that I've seen down there.

that i can see, its a different experience for sure. you got BP doing their thing, illegals doing their thing, and 800 hunters doing theirs. if i had my choice i would hunt down there without that going on but i think its fun in a way since not many people get to experience that kind of stuff while deer hunting lol. plus when i stumble on that 100 kilos of coca ill be the new walter white of mesa az lol.

• Like 2

I go down to unit 36b every year and tell you what, theres always some kind of excitement!

we normally set up camp down off of rubi road in california gulch or warsaw canyon depending on the amount of people but last years hunt was a real eye opener! on our 3rd day of the hunt we had a group of id say maybe 10+ near our camp site you can clearly here them giving signals back and fourth to each other around 2 am a few of them went into our camp and actually ram sacked the place took water food you name it! I set the alarm off on my pick up and turned on the spot lights on they all scattered shortly after there were two helicopters flying pretty low, and to top that off the following morning we got our a** chewed off by border patrol!! turns out we ended up about a mile south of the border. who knew a piece of barb wire on the floor was the border lol

• Like 2

I go down to unit 36b every year and tell you what, theres always some kind of excitement!

we normally set up camp down off of rubi road in california gulch or warsaw canyon depending on the amount of people but last years hunt was a real eye opener! on our 3rd day of the hunt we had a group of id say maybe 10+ near our camp site you can clearly here them giving signals back and fourth to each other around 2 am a few of them went into our camp and actually ram sacked the place took water food you name it! I set the alarm off on my pick up and turned on the spot lights on they all scattered shortly after there were two helicopters flying pretty low, and to top that off the following morning we got our a** chewed off by border patrol!! turns out we ended up about a mile south of the border. who knew a piece of barb wire on the floor was the border lol

Wow, wild story. So you were really South of the border?? Suppose we all need to pay attention to what land we are actually hunting on! ;)

I've never had a problem in the 36's....... Hunted solo, with friends, and with my children. Never a problem.

S.

:)

I hunt the 36s every winter and a lot of the time by myself. I glass up and and see illegals all the time and smugglers once in a while. It's no big deal just keep your distance and be aware. That being said its all awesome area to hunt and none of that could even come close to bothering me enough to keep me from hunting down there. I think Most people that are scared to hunt down there have never hunted down there...