John O

Who's Not Afraid to Hunt Down South?

It must be horribly scary down south leftovers were all gone by the end of the first day buying them over the counter, and I've never seen so few early 36B leftovers 12 I believe. I wish people were still scared sure puts a wrinkle in my draw strategies.

It must be horribly scary down south leftovers were all gone by the end of the first day buying them over the counter, and I've never seen so few early 36B leftovers 12 I believe. I wish people were still scared sure puts a wrinkle in my draw strategies.

was thinking the same thing when i went to pick up my leftover, i was 5 minutes late. had to settle for 36a. which is why i/we should stop this conversation.

• Like 1

Well I'm still afraid after reading all this. I've crossed paths with illegal crossers once in California when I was at a family reunion a couple miles from the border. It was 18 years ago and it was the last time. It left quite an impression on me. And yes it plain sucks that it's "my" state, but for now I choose not to share my hunts with them, which leaves more tags for all of you :)

I have seen my share of illegals. Over the years my encounters with them have gone from feeding and watering them to turning them back heading south.

A few years back a buddy and I were lion hunting in the wetstones and found one illegal hanging in a mesquite, that ended our hunt right then and there.

They are like cockroaches, cant say that I am afraid of them but I sure as heck dont want them around.

25-06, found an illegal hanging in a mesquite tree?? Do you mean he was hung by the neck? What turned out from that or did you ever find out?

GBA

25-06, found an illegal hanging in a mesquite tree?? Do you mean he was hung by the neck? What turned out from that or did you ever find out?

GBA

Ya he was hung by the neck, it was a leather belt. We called and helped the sheriffs get him outa there in the dark.

A few months later my buddy ran into one of the sheriffs. They told him cause of death was asphyxiation.

GBA

Ya he was hung by the neck, it was a leather belt. We called and helped the sheriffs get him outa there in the dark.

A few months later my buddy ran into one of the sheriffs. They told him cause of death was asphyxiation.

Yeah, just good people looking for work...

It isnt only the border units. I live in Duncan and we find stuff from illegals around here pretty regularly. There are 3 of us going south on friday and we arent worried, but we do all carry pistols at least, even around here. You just have to pay a little attention to your surroundings, and not let them know you are there. You are supposed to be bowhunters and sneak up to deer, it should be fairly easy to get around people without them knowing. That is the way I look at it and I go south to hunt fairly often.

I use to work for CBP and am still in contact with allot of my buddies I used to work with specifically in 36B and 36A. When I worked there we would always have situations with hunters from 3 points all the way down to the POE (port of entry) Sasabee. This is a main cooridor. Plenty of country and ranches for them to cross. Arivaca lake and Buenos aires are always busy with foot traffic. Most of these groups have coyotes and are being led by experienced people and want to avoid you. While working down their it was a common occurance for spotters to be on the MX side glassing and leading groups through the area to avoid BP. trust me, they dont want to have contact with anyone but if they do they usually will keep to themselves. CBP agents are always outnumbered so keep there # in your phone or mark on your GOS where you saw them and report it. I love hunting 36B but the amount of trash the aliens are leaving behind makes me sick. My suggestion is to go in from I19 into the Tumacacori's. Still illegals but more rugged and less traveled by illegals.

Few years ago back on a jr hunt in the 36s we saw a few people on foot they went their own way, this year I find myself running in 35 haven't seen anything yet hope it stays that way. I just take a hunting partner, carry a side arm, and stay alert.

• Like 1

I've hunted quite a bit in 36A and 36C. Yes there is a lot of illegal activity in those units...but that same activity is happening in your neighborhoods too. I've had one incident...and that was last year with my 11 year old son. I glass up illegals all the time...just like anyone who hunts south. This particular Jr. Javelina hunt my son and I glassed up a single illegal immigrant filling his water jug at a cattle tank about 3/4 mile away. He was carrying to regular sized backpacks. We were glassing from a really brushed in spot and I know that he was unable to see us. I took the time to explain to my son about immigrant come here and why, including those not just looking for work. I figured this guy would probably not even come close to us but I was wrong. It was like he drew a straight line right to us. So here he comes...and my son is getting a little nervous. I reassured him that everything was fine. When the guy got to within about 50' he was a little too close for my taste. So I stood up, startling the guy pretty bad. He then proceeded to walk towards me when I motioned for him to stop as I asked him in Spanish to just keep on walking. He started to get a little fidgety and kept walking a little closer. With my hand on my pistol I told him to stop and not to move. I asked what was in the pack...that was when the guy very rapidly put both hands in the backpack in the front. I immediately drew down on him with my finger near the trigger ready to defend myself and my son. The guy put his hands up...then with his fingertips slowly unzipped his pack and showed a gallon of water. I holstered my sidearm and point in the direction I said I wanted him to walk....he quickly complied. I notified BP mainly because I drew my weapon. My so was pretty shaken...so I sat him down and explained everything to him. I told him it was ok if he wanted to stop hunting here...but he said no and continued to hunt.

To me...the very same thing could happen while at the store, or the park, or (fill in the blank). You just have to be prepared and maintain good situational awareness. I still take my son hunting down there and will continue to do so. I wouldn't advise camping alone, I think it's just an unwise decision. When you leave, and before bed, make sure your stuff is secured. Just my 2 cents

Great thread on this subject. Interesting responses.

For what its worth, not much I know, but I see illegal immigration as an invasion. Thats an act of war in my opinion.

I

Great thread on this subject. Interesting responses.

For what its worth, not much I know, but I see illegal immigration as an invasion. Thats an act of war in my opinion.

I

Only if our gov could see it that way.