latigo11

Austin TX...is it for me?

I need some advice from someone that has a love and passion for the outdoors like I do.

I am going to Austin Tx this weekend to possible accept a job offer and ulimatly move my family. I have heard that living in Texas hard for outdoorsman because there is very limited access to land.

Does anybody have any experience living in that area and if so, is it going to be as tough as they say to find a place to hunt?

I love Austin.... One of my favorite cities in America.

Is it hard to hunt??? NO... As a matter of fact, when you buy your lic. from WalMart or wherever, it will come with 5 WT deer tags, 2 MD tags and (it's been a little while) I think 4 turkey tags. Problem is, from that point you have to either make friends with people that have property or learn to live with paying a bit to hunt. There are a lot of places that will just charge per day and have cheap prices for trophies. They aren't the kind of places that you see on TV, you may come home empty handed but that is not such a big problem if you a local....

Good Luck with the job!!

Austin isn't too far from the coast and the inshore fishing on gulf coast Texas is amazing. You also arent too far from Calveras lake with has redfish in fresh water. I would love to move back to texas. Go for it. you will not regret it.

I lived in Austin for 9 months last year. Not a bad town. Very cool downtown area, nice small town feel, great Mexican food. Hunting is good, but most land is private - and high fenced. Not sure about fishing, but ocean is only a couple hours away. Has to be some good bass lakes nearby. And it never gets cold there. Ever. Talking high 80's in February. Most important thing is does it make sense for your family. I know a guy who has 5 kids who recently moved there and loves it.

Thanks guys, what about the fishing?

I was stationed at Ft Hood (45 mins N of Austin) for a few years and I can honestly say I've been doing everything in my power to get back there to CenTex. Yes, deer hunting is mostly conducted on leased land. There are some public spots within easy reach of Austin and they are all Corps of Engineer lakes and properties which require a special permit and they are limited in number. Not impossible to get though. Let me make a lengthy post here so that I can share some of my CenTex outdoor knowledge on you:

The deer hunting is not that great- Williamson and all of the bordering counties are antler-restricted counties which means legal bucks must have an inside spread of no less than 13". That makes for slim pickings, very slim pickings with the addition of almost NO public hunting opportunities. If you can get on the list for COE lakes Granger and Georgetown you will have a chance at a doe harvest every year. If you are retired military there's always Fort Hood- which has some great bucks, but getting them is tough. Save your pennies and get on a decent deer lease in three or four years. Or, make the LONG drive SW to Big Bend State Park and hunt deer and Aoudad sheep in the rocks.

I used to do A LOT of waterfowl hunting in CenTex. It's fantastic quality hunting and there's lots of public opportunities. COE lakes like Granger, Belton, and Stillhouse Hollow offer some of the best duck hunting I've ever seen. There's a September Teal season that is to die for, and let's not rule out the entire Gulf coast which is only a few hours drive east. Doves too- lots of sunflower-stuffed doves.

You asked about the fishing... well, that depends on what you like. If you like Bass fishing- you are in the 2nd best state in the union for Bass. Lake Austin has some great bass fishing so buy a kayak or a canoe and get after them! Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir offers some trophy opportunities every winter and spring- and I mean 8-12lb bass are caught out of that lake regularly. Hybrid Stripers and white bass are awesome on just about any lake that has them- and they are good eating. Gulf coast- the trout and reds from Port Aransas down to the border are fantastic with offshore oil rig fishing being another option for some big grouper, kings and all manner of jacks.

Now, the city of Austin is what I consider to be the "San Francisco" of Texas- but the wierdness is far overshadowed by how cool the music scene and the food are. Traffic can be a real bummer too unless you live right in the city. Look man, it's Texas and that is the greatest place I've ever seen on God's Green Earth. Plus... dare I say... LONGHORNS FOOTBALL!!! HOOK 'EM!!!

Thanks guys, what about the fishing?

I was stationed at Ft Hood (45 mins N of Austin) for a few years and I can honestly say I've been doing everything in my power to get back there to CenTex. Yes, deer hunting is mostly conducted on leased land. There are some public spots within easy reach of Austin and they are all Corps of Engineer lakes and properties which require a special permit and they are limited in number. Not impossible to get though. Let me make a lengthy post here so that I can share some of my CenTex outdoor knowledge on you:

The deer hunting is not that great- Williamson and all of the bordering counties are antler-restricted counties which means legal bucks must have an inside spread of no less than 13". That makes for slim pickings, very slim pickings with the addition of almost NO public hunting opportunities. If you can get on the list for COE lakes Granger and Georgetown you will have a chance at a doe harvest every year. If you are retired military there's always Fort Hood- which has some great bucks, but getting them is tough. Save your pennies and get on a decent deer lease in three or four years. Or, make the LONG drive SW to Big Bend State Park and hunt deer and Aoudad sheep in the rocks.

I used to do A LOT of waterfowl hunting in CenTex. It's fantastic quality hunting and there's lots of public opportunities. COE lakes like Granger, Belton, and Stillhouse Hollow offer some of the best duck hunting I've ever seen. There's a September Teal season that is to die for, and let's not rule out the entire Gulf coast which is only a few hours drive east. Doves too- lots of sunflower-stuffed doves.

You asked about the fishing... well, that depends on what you like. If you like Bass fishing- you are in the 2nd best state in the union for Bass. Lake Austin has some great bass fishing so buy a kayak or a canoe and get after them! Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir offers some trophy opportunities every winter and spring- and I mean 8-12lb bass are caught out of that lake regularly. Hybrid Stripers and white bass are awesome on just about any lake that has them- and they are good eating. Gulf coast- the trout and reds from Port Aransas down to the border are fantastic with offshore oil rig fishing being another option for some big grouper, kings and all manner of jacks.

Now, the city of Austin is what I consider to be the "San Francisco" of Texas- but the wierdness is far overshadowed by how cool the music scene and the food are. Traffic can be a real bummer too unless you live right in the city. Look man, it's Texas and that is the greatest place I've ever seen on God's Green Earth. Plus... dare I say... LONGHORNS FOOTBALL!!! HOOK 'EM!!!

What he said, except for the Longhorns football thing. IF I were to move my family to Texas, it would be Austin.

The gulf coast also has quite a lot of national wildlife refuges with hunting programs. Pretty affordable by Texas standards. There are a few National forests also.

One of my younger brothers probably hunts more days every year than I do, and he lives in Austin by choice. He could do his job from just about anywhere, but likes the ambience of Austin.

Austin is a great city with a lot to do. You may have to drive some but Texas is a great place to hunt & fish. You also have the added bonus of being much closer to a flyway which may turn you into a duck or goose hunter in which case your fall and winter will have less days than you need for all the potential hunting you could do. As well as trips to the gulf, oh and free reign in some places for feral hogs if you find the right land owners and can make the trip.

AZ has great potential opportunities but is really one of the hardest places to consistently hunt due to our draw system and popularity with non-resident hunters.

• Like 1