Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

tree stands, blinds, camaras watch out!

heard today from a friend who talked to a tonto forest service ranger who had a truck full of treestands and ladder stands and blinds. The ranger told him they were confinscated from a resent burn area. He also told my friend the new rule with them is 72 hrs left in the woods is abandenment and they will be removed and camarars aloso. a new thief in town so maybe the fights will be over or just beginning?

SO when the forest service leaves their equipment out for more than 72 hours without moving it, is it abandoned? Can I take it????

I could always use a front loader...

• Like 9

IMO it is illegal for him to take them unless he sits on them and knows for 100% certainty that they were left 72 hours prior. I seriously doubt he has proof on 99% of the things he took that they could be considered "abandoned".

It's like a game warden citing a trapper for not checking his traps daily without proof.. How could he do that if he hadn't sat on that trap for 24 hours first? Or had trail cam pictures showing when the trapper left and came back.

The FS takes stuff on a pure guess that it is "abandoned"

• Like 1

IT WAS AROUND 22 OR 23. IT SOUNDS LIKE SHORT OF HUNTING SEASON THERE NOT SUPPOSE TO MESS WITH THEM BUT BESIDES THAT, ITS 72 HRS MAX EVEN IF ATTENDED, NOT 100 % SURE OF PARTICULERES BUT CAME FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE AND SOME OF THE STANDS WERE BRAND NEW. DIDN"T MEAN TO START AN UPROAR. LOL

Just like he can't prove you abandoned them, how are you going to prove the Forest Service took them (in order to make an issue of it) unless you catch them in the act?

I am a little hot under the collar. I had a camera, bear box, and python cable lock taken in the past month. The camera had my name and number on the back... There was no damage to the tree. I have 2 cams in 23 at the moment. I know where there are a few forest service things out in the woods.

Does anyone know where they are taking all the stuff???? I would like to see if my camera is there..........

Sorry if they take your stuff, I am just amazed the forest Service is out in the woods, usally When I find them they are lost and need directions.

Seldom Drawn

• Like 1

If your vehicle is out on the side of a road or highway no matter how far its pulled off a patrol officer/DPS will stick a huge red sticker on it with a time and date to have the vehicle removed or it will be towed within 24 hours. I have had this happen and I was pulled way off the road in a pullout area and went hunting, those stickers are a pain to get off, and I know the officer had to know I was hunting by location and my bow case on the front seat Grrrrrrrrr, what a jerk.

I can see this happening to our cameras and stands/blinds in the future. I would rather see that then them just taking them at will but come on, 72 hours? that's ridiculous!! Maybe something like the 14 day camping rule. I guess if I had to I could live with that but for them to take them at 72 hours they are just being jerks IMO. That’s a stupid rule.

Can anyone find this in writing??

GBA

they didn't tell him what they were doing with the stands but there are not giving them back. or contacting anyone who has any info on them . who we gonna call OBAMA

I am a little hot under the collar. I had a camera, bear box, and python cable lock taken in the past month. The camera had my name and number on the back... There was no damage to the tree. I have 2 cams in 23 at the moment. I know where there are a few forest service things out in the woods.

Does anyone know where they are taking all the stuff???? I would like to see if my camera is there..........

contact info for pleasant valley.

Pleasant Valley Ranger District

P.O. Box 450, FR 63

Young, Arizona 85554

(928) 462-4300

called but got answering machine.... ;)

james

I can see their point. The FS is not the G&F, they're not there to make hunters happy, they're there to conserve the forest for everybody, hunters, fisher, hikers, backpackers, family campers, etc. I've known some hikers & backpackers that hate the cameras & would love to see them gone. I'm pretty sure the FS has received more than a couple complaints from non hunters regarding the stuff left behind by hunters.

The simple solution: leave no trace. I'm carrying a climber with me this year on my backpacking hunt.

I can see their point. The FS is not the G&F, they're not there to make hunters happy, they're there to conserve the forest for everybody, hunters, fisher, hikers, backpackers, family campers, etc. I've known some hikers & backpackers that hate the cameras & would love to see them gone. I'm pretty sure the FS has received more than a couple complaints from non hunters regarding the stuff left behind by hunters.

The simple solution: leave no trace. I'm carrying a climber with me this year on my backpacking hunt.

I've never seen one of them pick up a beer can or cigarette butt.

• Like 5