Sign in to follow this  
Coues Stew

Just passing through

A friend of mine and I both drew archery elk tags and went to set out cameras about a month prior to season. Within one week on one of our cams four different whitetail bucks passed through the area, however only one stopped for a quick sniff then gone. I was hoping on hearing a few suggestions on here from you guys on what you think stops the deer at your camera. Maybe just time or a preferred salt?

Here is one of the deer from the cam.

post-8804-140560_thumb.jpeg

No pic?

Salt works very well although when I used to use the sweet stuff (deer cain, etc) it seemed to draw more deer while the elk stayed on the salt even if they were 10-20 yds apart.

Start your salt in the spring when they are dropping their horns with some Black Magic or something with scent and they will find it. Set your cameras up when your ready and replenish as you need to, the more cover the better and not at water but nearby or near a high use area just off the trail.

Are the deer cane block and black magic mix even legal to use with this new bait ban? I thought all they allowed was the reg salt blocks and trace mineral blocks sold at the feed stores? This is what I was told. Just wanting to know for sure.

Im using these products for taking pictures of deer because after Sept they will not pay attention to the mineral licks.

I believe the writing on the new law says "For the taking of game" Like if they would set a stand on a salt block like Ive seen up north on elk.

At least that is how I have read the verbage!

Deer Cane was going to add verbage to their label to include "for livestock" to make it legal in AZ. Not sure if the new labels are out yet...

deer cocain black magic.